Day 7: Back to normal

The next day, I went to school with Blue, we're both in the same classes and thank God for that, otherwise, she'd be a lost lamb. I have to admit, that it had been a rough week, the majority of the gang had taken a beating.

It's not usually like that, it's like the Collage kids have gotten bitter. They used to jump us for money or just for kicks, but now, they were getting violent. Not just skin rumbles, they were using switchblades and other weapons.

This was getting serious. This was war.

The bell rung through my bones and I gathered my textbooks and binders and headed for my locker.

Carson was out the front leaning on his car, waiting for us.

"Hey, how was your day?" He asked as he lit a cigarette.
"Yeah, it was alright. How's Mace doing?"

"Yeah, she's doing a lot better, she'll be right. She's tough."

I tossed my backpack into the trunk and sat in the front seat, waiting for Charlie, Tam and Blue. Technically, Charlie and Tam should have graduated by now, but they were kept back a year. They were behind and failing nearly every subject.

Kathy encouraged them to put more effort into their school work, but the thing is with them, nothing bothers them. Not a care in the world. The only thing that gets on their nerves are college kids.

Just on Que, They wandered out with a crowd of other kids surging out the front doors of the school. Blue was not far behind them. Once we all stuffed our bags into the trunk and crammed to the back of Carson's red convertible, we hit the road, usually, we would walk home. But tonight, Kathy and Carson both got a raise. We were going to the drive in to watch Jaws.

Everyone was pretty hyped. We going to meet Mace, Kathy and Matt there.

We sped down the road with the radio blasting. I stood from the passenger seat and let my hair fly back in the current. Tam stood too and Charlie joined him. Blue sat in-between them concerned we were going to get in trouble. Eventually, Charlie and Tam persuaded Blue to stand too, she wobbled around as she rose from her seat.

"Are you sure? What if we fall?" She asked, barely above a whisper. But the wind still her words as she stood anyway, Charlie and Tam both stabled her with a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Live a little, Blue!" Charlie shouted over the rush of cool air.

Finally, the three of us stood, feeling somewhat more alive than we usually do.

"Ok guys, take a seat," Carson said
"Here we are!" We turned into the drive-in and took our spot. It was beginning to get dark and more people were arriving, we snacked on popcorn and sipped coke until the others arrived.

They took the spot next to us, we rearranged ourselves to each other's cars. Girls in one, boys in the other. We got comfy and changed the radio to channel three, I was glad Mace came, I know I think she can be too rebellious at times, but I was glad she was feeling better.

After the movie, cheers and claps could be heard, it was such a thrill and I felt so hyped after that. But my eyelids had a different idea, it was late and I had school tomorrow, Kath wanted to get back home as soon and the movie ended so Blue and I could get some rest.

We ended up being the second last car to leave though, people were cutting through and we had to wait. The car behind us; A black, mean-looking Mustang with two white stripes down the middle revved its engine.

"Come on! Get it movin' Greasers!" The driver bellowed.

"Listen, man, there's a fricken line!" Argued Matt. Carson elbowed him in the side, but it was too late, the doors of the Mustang flung opened and four bitter boys marched up to our cars.

"It's ok, Blue" Mace reassured, but I think it was more for herself.

"Everyone, play it cool." Said Kath.

Two of the college kids leaned in our car and two on the other.

"Leave us alone, man!" Matt snapped. Kathy shot him a glare that would silence anyone, but Matt's eyes were busy burning into the sole of a rotten, spoiled college kid.

I'm not sure why we call them college kids, because they're not. They just spoiled bloodthirsty bastards who have fame and wealth at there fingertips. I don't think they understand that we have to fight for that stuff, we have to claw for it, our fathers don't go out and buy us Mustangs and our mothers don't buy us new clothes every week. No, most of our parents are dead, and even if they are alive, you'll be lucky enough to have parents as nice as Blue's.

It's funny to think, just a few hours ago, I was standing in a car, racing down the road with the wind in my hair, feeling free my family, and now, I'm sinking into my seat, wishing I was invisible.

I could smell the liquor on their breaths as they breathed down our necks and spat insensitive comments at us.

"Ok, here's the deal," one sneered
"Saturday. Next week. We fight. No more skins. That's for babies." He shot a cold stare at Blue.

"So...switchblades?" Asked Matt
"No, Matt, we're not doing this!" Argued Kathy between clenched teeth.

"No, Matt!" One of them mocked Kathy. "Not switchblades. Heaters, guns, we're going full out. This is war. We're sick of your greaser asses hanging around here! Either you scram or well make you. Your choice Kathy"

Kath went quiet. She was thinking real hard. She looked at the boys. Charlie, Tam and Matt looked eager, they wanted this. But Carson knew better. He was shaking his head with worry in his eyes.

She looked at us, Mace, she was eager too, like the boys,  but Blue and I have fearful eyes. Kath didn't want this either. It was four against four. Depending on Kathy's decision. It Would change everything.

If only she knew...

A/N: Oooo, what do ya thinks gonna happen??? Leave a comment!