Chapter: 2. SAVE THE CHILD

SIX MONTHS EARLIER
*****

Mrs. Hawkins was on her way back from work. It was a very cold and dark morning. The moon had disappeared into the clouds and wouldn't give its light. The woman tapped her fingers on her wheels while humming calmly to the sound of the music coming from the radio. She chanced a quick glance at the clock which read 5:30.A.m. 

Dammit, she had a rather tough day at work yesterday. Normally by 7:00 p.m, she's home but today had been excessively rough. There had been a car accident early that day and about six casualties were brought into the hospital, her hands were full throughout the night and so she had worked around the clock until this morning. 

She couldn't wait to get home, take a well-deserving shower, and go to bed, food would be when she wakes up. 

Remembering the little girl who hadn't made it from the accident, the woman hissed loudly at the memory. She had obtained the worst injury and nothing she did to stabilize the girl worked until she stopped fighting and died at exactly 9.39 p.m. Mrs. Hawkins took one hand off the wheel to rub at her eyes when she caught sight of a figure hunched over by the side of the road. She swirled and brought her car to an abrupt stop.

She looked behind her and saw the figure still sat there, unfazed by a car that almost ran into them. The woman did a few breathing exercises, grateful she hadn't run whoever that was over with her car. 

She would never have forgiven herself.

Looking at the clock once again, it read 5:39. She opened her purse and took her pepper spray and her phone, then she turned the flashlight on and slowly walked out of her car. With the lights blazing towards the figure which still hadn't moved she began to wonder if that was even a human or maybe a dead animal ran over by some truck or it could be a trash bag. Whatever that was, she wanted to know so she could move on peacefully. 

It could also be someone who might need help and as a doctor, she just couldn't ignore that urge that pulled at her heartstrings. 

After taking her sixth feet she saw for the first time that it wasn't a trash bag. 

It was a child. 

A little girl.

"Oh, my God. Honey, are you alright?" All caution blew away with the wind. The woman ran to kneel in front of the girl. The little child whimpered as if hurt, her legs hugged tightly with her hands and head buried into her knees. The woman reached one hand and rested it on her wet black hair. They felt slimy as if her head was dipped in gore water. "Honey?" Her motherly voice was gentle when she called her this time and the girl slowly raised her head and had pale eyes piercing into her very soul. She has beautiful hazel eyes but they were so pale it looked as if her pupil had turned black, as black as her hair. "What are you doing out here all alone-" her voice trailed off when the child threw both hands around her neck and hugged her tightly. 

She began sniffling on her shoulders but the woman didn't mind. 

She could be lost.

Or kidnapped and perhaps escaped her capture. 

She may have been one of the victims of the accident yesterday afternoon.

Whatever the case, she knew she had to help the child.

It was in the early mornings and she had no idea how long she'd been sitting there. 

"You're coming home with me." The woman started, she picked up her phone and began the short work back to her car with the child stuck on her neck like a leach. 

Who knows what horrors she had seen. 

The woman thought. 

She got to her car and pulled the back door open, the girl didn't want to let go at first but after a few reassurances she let go and the woman gently laid her down on the back seat

"It's okay, baby. You're safe now." She cooed and made around to the front seat. She got in and fired up the engine and soon they were running down the road once again. 

It was a very quiet morning and not a single car drove by all the time she spent with the child until they got home. 

It's no wonder no one had found her until she did. 

"We are home!" She smiled at the back seat from the rearview mirror but the child was sound asleep. Dried tears stuck on her face, along with dirt and mud. The woman looked at her clothing and she thought that blue dotted with white flower dress looked rather familiar but she just didn't remember where she had seen a child wearing that same dress. 

Dear God, I hope I hadn't seen her with her parents in the hospital and maybe she was taken from them. 

Once she's had the girl settled in she was going to call the police and report the matter and also find out if a child went missing yesterday. 

She turned the car off and packed up her handbag, throwing the pepper spray, her phone and a few paper documents in the bag then she came down and turned to go pick her up when her front door opened and her husband walked out to greet her with a calm smile on his handsome face. 

At forty-two he still manages to sweep her off her feet with his easy charms. 

"Work kicked your ass yesterday, I see?" The man neared her and she left the backdoor open to go hug her husband. 

"It certainly did." They both laughed. "There was an accident, you know how the hospital gets whenever that happens." She pulled out of the hug and gave a lingering kiss to the man's lips. "I'm dead-beat tired." She chuckled lightly then went back to pick the still sleeping child. 

"Is she a patient from the accident?" The husband asked, curious as he took in the condition of the child. 

"I don't think so." She shut the door and faced her husband. "I found her by the roadside." she breathed out while going to grab her handbag from the other side of the car. "I'm guessing a missing child, possibly kidnapped or lost." She rounded the car and was standing before her husband once again.

"Where did you find her?" He used his left hand to smoothen the hair glued on the sleeping child's face. 

"Sitting all by herself beside the road just a little before the tunnels." 

The man didn't look very pleased but knowing his kind wife it was no surprise that she had picked up a random child from the road and brought her home.

"What are your plans now?" He reached for her handbag and took it from her. "I mean, with the girl. Someone must be looking for her." He pressed the remote control locking the car. 

"Exactly, it's too early and she's still too shaken up to speak. I'll get her cleaned up, fed and in the morning we will see if she talks but I will be calling the police either way." 

"N-No." The little girl whisper cried and both husband and wife stood to stare at the still sleeping child. 

Nightmare. 

They both thought as they walked into the house. 

The second chapter up and ready,  I apologize for the delay.

Votes, comments and Enjoy.