Acquaintances | Chpt 10

Start from the beginning

"Huh?" It seemed Ryou was correct, in that he hadn't picked up on the fact I was being so mean on account of my father.

"You don't have to be nice to me. I'm not going to tell my dad anything. You don't have to associate with me," I said, picking up the same piece of sushi. I placed it in my mouth, wishing he would just get up and leave. When I glanced up, it looked like he was trying to do a long division problem in his head. He seemed completely and utterly confused. "Are you okay?" I raised an eyebrow at him and he looked over at me.

"I'm not being nice to you because of your dad, I just think you're cool," he said. "And who cares if you're not a hero. Aren't you in a medical course? That's just as cool."

"You seemed pretty freaked yesterday," I insisted.

"I mean sure, it was shocking," he said, glancing down. "But I still want to be your friend. I know you don't really want a friend that will push you out of your comfort zone, but I think everyone deserves one of those friends. Including you!"

If my father knew...he would certainly kill one or both of us.

"You don't know anything about me."

"And I want to! That's the whole point," he said, grinning at me. "I'd very much like to associate with you." I watched his right eye shut in a quick wink.

"How do you know I wouldn't tell my dad that you do...that?"

"You told me you wouldn't. 2 times. Just now."

"Well--maybe I will if you don't stop it," I said.

"I suppose that's fair," he said, leaning up against his hand. "Your friends are coming back soon, do you want to be friends or not? Not that I'm taking no for an answer of course, I just need to know if I need to be more persistent." I stared at him, grimacing slightly.

"Acquaintances. My dad doesn't need to know," I said, my ground rules solid.

"How come?"

"Just keeping you out of trouble," I said. "Take it or leave it." I wanted at least some control in this situation by deciding exactly how we would be interacting. I had to keep this out of sight of my father, so what he didn't know couldn't hurt him.

"Deal! We'll be best friends by the end of the quarter!" he called, holding out his hand for me to shake. I cringed and took it, shaking it once before he gripped it. "Maybe more, I'm pretty irresistible." We were just holding hands at this point and the eye contact he made with me made my face want to explode. I felt a jolt of electricity run up my arm as he let go, standing up. Standing there and staring into electric yellow eyes, wide with excitement, I couldn't help but feel as though I was signing my life away.

"Oh hey! Lover boy!" Hanako called, stopping him from leaving.

"Lover boy?" he muttered, confused. He glanced towards me, watching me obviously shade my face from him in embarrassment. It was clear he knew he was a topic of conversation in my friend group.

"I never got a formal introduction," Hana said. "I'm Hanako Kobayashi, or just Hanako. This is Ryou Kishi."

"Oh well hey! I'm Denki Kaminari," he said, smiling warmly. I couldn't stand the embarrassing blush on my face. It was making me itchy and hot.

"You should sit!" Hanako offered, there being an extra chair still open across from me.

"Sure, for a few minutes," he said. I could feel him staring at me and I quite literally could have melted into a puddle in that moment. So much for control over the situation. Where was my dad's cool stature when I needed it? I was such an idiot.