Chapter Two

Max walked into the café. The morning rush had died down, and the place was fairly empty. He placed his order at the counter and got comfortable in a small brown booth in the corner. The smell of coffee and baked goods made his stomach growl in anger.

"Here you are, Max." Nancy, the barista, set down his café latte along with his bacon and egg croissant.

Nancy was a cute little thing, that at one point, Max had almost dated. Her smile crinkled the corners of her eyes as she asked, "How are you? How's Trish?"

"I'm good. Trish is cool. You know how it is." Max shrugged.

"Still making you pay for all your past mistakes?" Nany flashed him an amused grin.

Max's reputation preceded him, and Nancy was aware Trish made him grovel at her feet.

"You know it!" Max replied.

"Well, good for her!" Nancy gave Max one last smirk before she sauntered back off toward the order counter.

"Hey! You're supposed to be on my side!" Max called after her.

"Ha!" is all Nancy replied in return.

Max chuckled to himself and took a bite of his sandwich. His stomach immediately rejoiced in response. Max wiped his hands on a napkin before he pulled out his phone to call Al.

The phone barely rang before Alice picked up and yelled, "Why the hell did you ignore my call? I've been worried sick!"

"Damn, Al! Calm down. My fucking eardrums, for Christ's sake."

"I saw a fire, Max! Are you guys alright?" Alice asked.

Max could tell by Alice's cracking voice, she'd been crying.

"Aw! Come on. Don't cry, babes. We're fine." Oh, fuck—did I just say we're?

"Where's Trish?"

"Trish? How the hell should I know?" Max replied, stupidly trying to play off his mistake.

"Oh my Goddess, Max! If you don't stop acting like I'm stupid, I'll kick your fucking ass!" Al screeched.

"Fuck! Fine! Trish is good. She's at work. We were having an argument which is why I didn't pick up. Then Gary popped in."

"What happened?"

"The stove caught on fire for no apparent reason. And Trish and I fought about keeping our relationship, a not-so-well-kept secret," Max confessed.

"Well, yeah! You two are idiots. We all know. But besides that, what concerns me more are all these accidents. You should let Raven and Susie go by to put up some protection spells," Alice suggested.

"You think it'll help?" Max asked doubtfully.

"It can't hurt," Alice replied.

Max sighed. "I guess you're right. Are you working?"

"Yeah, why?" Al asked.

"When do you get off?"

"Around four. Again, why do you ask?"

Max sensed Al's irritation.

"I have a favor to ask you," Max paused.

"Well? What the fuck is it, Max?" Alice screamed after a minute of silence.

Max laughed. It was fun to irritate his sister.

"I'll hang up," Alice threatened.

"No! Wait! Seriously. Will you come with me to drop the money off to Sally tonight? I think there's a better chance of her hearing me out and not calling the cops if I have you with me." Max silently awaited a response.