Chapter 1

Prologue

Third person POV
"Welcome Lord Gravich, to what does my kingdom owe the pleasure?" King Florian Mais of the Dark Fae asked the Dark Elf standing before him. He was nervous about the arrival of three Dark Elves in his territory. They seldom made visits, and when they did, they meant strictly business. 

"There is no need to be so concerned King Mais. Today we are only here to warn you." The Elf spoke calmly and smiled, although it didn't reach his eyes. The other two elves remained silent in the background.

"To warn me? Of what?" The king asked. 

"It's about your oldest son, Lucian. His heart grows colder as the days pass and his actions are becoming uncontrollable, as they are fueled by hatred. We cannot allow him to sit upon the throne as your successor of the Dark Fae Kingdom with the path he is taking. If he were to do so, balance would be thrown and the entire realm would likely feel his wrath. Today we are here to give you five years. If by this time the Prince has not had any noticeable change in his heart, we will kill him." 

The Elf spoke with no remorse, no emotion at all. The King knew the Dark Elf was serious about this decision, but he was powerless to the Elves, Dark or Light. The Elves were the most powerful beings to roam the Realms, followed by the Fae, then the vampires and werewolves, and finally the pixies, who were the weakest of the five great beings.

He was grateful for the Dark Elves, though he rarely agreed with their tactics. However, the Light Elves were purely evil. They were responsible for many wars and disputes.

"Is there any way I can persuade you otherwise? Can we at least have more time?" The King asked as desperately as he could, knowing that the answer would remain the same. While his Eldest son may be corrupt, he still loved him.

"No, there is no discussion on the matter."

The King closed his eyes. He knew that his son needed to change; he'd known that for a long while, but didn't have the slightest inkling of how to change him.

"One last thing Your Majesty. This is a conversation that nobody else ever learns about. Especially your son, Lucian. Am I understood?" The Dark Elf asked. Florian couldn't speak, so he merely nodded his now weary head.

"Excellent."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four years later:

Nadia's POV

"Coleen! Honestly, what are you doing?" A voice called. I rolled my eyes and laughed. Only my eldest brother still called me by my first name, Coleen. Nearly everyone called me Nadia, which was my middle name.

"Milos, you sound as if you just caught me committing a crime." I said, looking back at him with a grin.

"I may have. What in the world is all of this?" He asked, signaling to the hoards of herbs I had on the dining room table. Our table itself could seat 40 people, and a better part of it was holding my plants and creations. 

"I'm close to a cure for the Sheltz Disease." I said as I focused on the small drop of Ebinease herb extract that I was mixing into my remedy. I could not mess up the portions.

"Coleen." My brother said softly. I knew what he was about to say. 

"I'm fine Milos."

"No, you aren't. I know that Eloy's death has you determined to find a cure, but it's early morning and you haven't slept in days." The sun had not yet risen, so I counted it as night.