"Then you know I'm doing you a kindness. Now, come on, I promise I won't bite."

⎯⎯

It was strange, how you found yourself mesmerized by Thomas Shelby's eyes and his aura. The sense of control and power that surrounded him. And ever since that night, nearly ten years ago, you've worked by his side. Taking control of the rather simple part of his business. Making sure the books are in order and that everything is in the right place.

"Y/N?" Thomas' voice made you glance up from your desk that sat inside his office. Originally, you sat where Lizzie now does, but since he hired you first, he thought you should have a spot right near him so he'd never have to yell to get your attention. "Y/N," You finally looked at him, he seemed concerned as you mustered a tired smile.

You tried blinking the sudden need to sleep away, "Yea? Do you need anything?"

Thomas shook his head, "What's wrong? Something seems to be eating at you." You clenched your jaw, of course, the bastard noticed your strange behavior. How you have been staring dejectedly at the drawer the invitation has been rotting in for the past two months.

Your lovely sister was getting married and she thought of you for the first time in ever. "Nothing's wrong, Tommy. Don't worry, all is well."

He just nodded and lit a cigarette, "Is all well with that invitation to your sister's weddin'?" You felt terribly embarrassed. Nothing went over Thomas' head. Well, besides Finn who turned out to be a tall fucker. Tom turned in the chair and stood up with his cigarette tucked into the corner of his mouth, "Now, I know that you haven't spoken to your family in eight years... but, I think you should go."

You raised an eyebrow at him, "Do you now? And why's that? What if I don't want to?"

"Because despite how much you hate them, they're your family. And family is very important."

It took everything in your body not to roll your eyes at Thomas. Sure, his family often was angry with him but he was never kicked out and left to fend for himself. He always had them by his side to back him up. "This is the first fucking time they've tried speaking to me. I ought to show up, let them know I'm still angry."

"I'd go with you?" Tom didn't sound like he was really suggesting it, but rather thinking out loud, considering the possibility. You quickly did just that, thought about it before nodding. "Oh, I see, you want to get me alone, eh?" Tommy gave you the rare cheeky grin that seemed reserved for you and you scoffed at his gall.

"Oh shut up, Mr. Shelby."

⎯⎯

It felt wrong, standing beside Tom in a new dress with your hand clutching onto his elbow. He set his hand above yours, "It's going to be fine, Y/N. Trust me, the worst that'll happen is they'll piss me off." That was the first strange thing Thomas said that night... but surely not the last.

The ceremony was beautiful, there was no doubt. But those who actually noticed you gave you the most surprised look you've ever seen. You wanted to think it was because Thomas fucking Shelby stood by your side, but you knew it was because you actually showed face.

You now appreciated that Tommy could tell if you were angry. Because if you so much as clenched your fist, he'd set his hand on the small of your back, or he'd just grab your hand and squeeze it. Throughout the entire night, you found yourself seeking out his eyes for comfort. It shouldn't have been that way, he's your boss... but there's something about the blue depths that made your heart calm down.

"My goodness, if it isn't the black sheep?" You clenched your jaw but forced a smile nonetheless.

"Hi, mum. How've you been since I left?" You looked off to the side and found Thomas standing on his own, "Wouldn't know since you never called, eh?" Her face turned red as you handed the empty glass of champagne to a waiter... how they afforded the wedding was beyond you. But good for them, you suppose.

⎯⎯

You were beyond relieved once you managed to escape from your family. It seemed you were better off without them. "Thank you for making me go... I think it helped me."

"Good, you needed to realize those lousy fucks didn't deserve you." Another strange sentence and this one just confused you even more than the previous ones that night.

"Why'd you offer to go with me in the first place?"

He shrugged and turned on to a dirt road, "I saw how much it bothered you, just a piece of paper and you were all strung up about it. I didn't like it. My best worker struggling to add two's and five's? I knew you needed to see them one last time and cut the string that's been binding you to them for the last eight years."

You narrowed your eyes at him and tilted your head to the side, "When did you get so wise?"

Tommy smiled and shook his head, "Always have been, you've just been listening to the wrong words."

"Oh, so it's my fault? Uh-huh, sounds about right." You glanced out the windshield and took a deep breath, "You've been off, Tom... I thought it was because we were around people you know aren't the best... but you've been nice. It's fuckin' weird."

He chuckled quietly and the sound was oddly soothing. "You were surrounded by those who hurt you, you needed at least one person to be nice."

"Well, thank you."

"I couldn't have my best worker moping about anymore,"