part seven

The inside of the rehabilitation center seems colder than the nonstop raining outside when Minju walks in to the lobby

The inside of the rehabilitation center seems colder than the nonstop raining outside when Minju walks in to the lobby. Her father is walking ahead of her and she lets him, knowing that he knows why Minju is staying behind.

Every step she takes is regretful.

Why did she even agree to be here..

"Your son has been better these weeks." one of the doctors assigned for her admitted older brother tells their dad - who nods in gratitude. "I'll go fetch him."

Her vision slurs and she felt dizzy when she sits on the chair, hearing the rolling of the wheelchair where her brother is seated, too weak to wall by himself. The sound stops and Minju still doesn't raise her head.

She hasn't seen him in years, doesn't know what he looks like now ㅡ but the same fear is still there.

Her brother has a violent record.

Minju can remember hugging him so tight, tears streaming down her cheeks when he said his last goodbye before he moved out in the age of 17. During highschool, he fell with the wrong crowd, committed minor crimes, did drugs and got into daily street fights.

But then one night, he found himself stumbling back into their home and Minju had been the one who opened the door for him and greeted him with a tight hug.

The vivid smell of alcohol and blood that he had reeked of that night still lingers in the back of her memories.

She shudders.

She and a maid had helped him settle down on a bar stool and gave him a glass of water  ㅡ  but he choked on it and slammed it on the tiled floor - breaking it to fragments.

"I want beer!!" Minju, who was appaled, had to process that and when she finally did, a plate was chucked her way ㅡ she merely avoided it and is left with another pang of shock.

Her brother started to wreck the kitchen, breaking everything, aiming some things at her while shouting incoherent sentences while Minju cowers in utter fear on the floor, ㅡ hands covering her ears and eyes shut tight as she shakes.