3) Wishing... and Waiting...

Começar do início

"I love you," Starfire said in response.

Robin leaned down and kissed her softly. It helped Starfire to relax and calm down a bit, which made Robin feel better.

"I love you more," Robin said.

Then the doctor and nurse came in. The nurse administered the pain medication and then left. The doctor, however, stayed. And she had a look on her face that robin and starfire did not like.

"I'm sorry, but I have some bad news," she told them.

Robin and Star looked at her worriedly.

"Not only is the bone shattered, but there is a piece of scrap metal lodged pretty deep. It's going to take surgery to fix it. The scarring that it's causing is bad too. It's a fairly major surgery, but you're in good hands." the doctor said with a smile looking down at Starfire.

It was evident that Starfire was holding back tears. There were no surgeries on Tamaran. She didn't know what to expect. She had never even been in a hospital. It was all happening so fast, and it was overwhelming her.

"The doctors are prepping for the surgery now." The doctor added.

"Wait. The surgery is happening like NOW?" Robin said in shock.

"Yes. Time is of the essence here. We need to make sure that we get this taken care of now." The doctor replied.

Starfire looked up at Robin with fear in her eyes. A level of fear that Robin had never seen in her before. Her eyes began to brim with tears. He squeezed her hand, leaned down, and kissed her.

"Everything will be ok. I promise." He told her.

She gave a little smile. And he gave a big one back. He still didn't let go of her hand. And she appreciated the support. Then the nurse came back in. Everything was ready. It was time to wheel her into the surgery room.

"Ok, Starfire. Everything is ready. It's time." The nurse said.

Robin reluctantly let go of her hand, and the nurse started to wheel her away. A teardrop fell from his eye.

*Back to Cyborg, BB and Raven*

About 5 minutes passed, but it felt like hours. A nurse came out. They both shot up from their seats.

"Unfortunately, the damage is extremely bad. We are going to have to perform emergency surgery. Everything is prepped, and she is ready to go into the operating room. I just need you to sign consent forms." The nurse said as she held out papers.

Cyborg took the papers and signed them. The nurse smiled genuinely at them.

"We will do everything we can to get her back to normal. However, I need you to know that there is a chance that she may not fully recover from this. This was an incredibly severe injury. All of her body is affected. We don't know how well each of her body functions will work when she is healed. But as I said, she is in the amazing hands of some of the best doctors in America."

Cyborg and Beastboy looked up. They barely could put on a little smile.

"Thank you," they both said.

With that, the nurse turned back and went back through the doors. Cyborg and Beastboy looked at each other before sitting back down. Now time was going to go extra slow.

"I guess now all we can do is wait," Cyborg said, looking over at Beastboy.

"Ya..." BB replied in a whisper.

Beastboy went up to get some water from the vending machine. He put the coins in and started to type in the number when all of a sudden his animal ears picked up faint talking.

"Doctor what are the chances of her making it through this surgery?" Someone asked.

"I try to be optimistic, but this is an extreme case. I would say around 20-40%. We are lucky we have a doctor here that knows about superpowers."

Beastboy gulped. His stomach felt like a big knot. 20-40%?! Those aren't good odds. But he knew that Raven was strong. She could do this... right?