Chapter One

The sky was a very neutral colour on Great Name Island, just the way Default liked it. They sat on the beach, their expression blank, their outfit blank. Their mind was also mostly blank save for one thought and one thought alone: Turg.

Turg. What was it about that man? His face, a mistake of nature in literally every facet: the eyebrows on his chin, the nose on his forehead. His eyeliner was fecking killer though. Also, why did he move so slowly? What kind of parents did he have, and what did they look like if he looked the way he does? Default would sometimes wonder about these things, and would nearly be curious about them. There was something about Turg that really drove her to vague interest.

Behind Default, soft footsteps approached.  A shadow appeared slowly, stretched across the white sand. It was a really short shadow and radiated pure sadness. So Default wasn't surprised to see Lil' Kev trekking across the beach towards them with his constant aura of dissapointment.

"Hello Default," said Lil' Kev. "How are you?"

Default stared at him with absolutely no expression. "I feel neutral," they said eventually.

"I don't know what more I expected," sighed Kev. "Turg was looking for you earlier."

Default stared again. "Why?" they asked.

"I don't know. It's kind of hard to understand what he means, you know?" Lil' Kev shrugged. "I'm not fluent in Turg."

Default wasn't fluent in Turg either, but that only added to his enigmatic and sexy personality. Default stood. "Goodbye, Lil' Kev."

Lil' Kev sighed as they walked off. Default heard him say: "Why does nobody care to speak with Lil' Kev?" but they didn't want to deal with that shit so they left him there.

Default found themselves at Turg's door. They knocked with a moderate amount of enthusiasm. The door flung itself open, and Turg stood in the middle of his room staring into space. That mystery man in his dashing pink polo. Default just couldn't resist.

"Turg," Default took one step into the apartment.

"Turg," Turg responded in his warbly tone. It just warmed Default's heart to hear him speak.

"I was wondering if you would like to go out and eat with me," asked Default.

"Turg!" said Turg enthusiastically.

"I don't know what that means, Turg."

Turg frowned. This language barrier was really an issue. His face lit suddenly, and he reached into his back pocket. With a flourish, he produced a single slice of white bread.

Default didn't gasp. In fact, they didn't reveal any new expression whatsoever, but they did speak. "White bread? For me?"

Turg launched the slice of bread across the room and it slapped Default right in the face. There was so much force in his throw that Default was knocked out cold. They fell backwards and hit the floor, their eyes shutting and their expression remaining the way it always was: blank.

"TURG!" screamed Turg. The distress in his tone rang clearly through all of Great Name Island.