“Were there any tribes or reservations on that land” Sam asked? “Not according to the historical record. But the, uh, relocation of native peoples was quite common at that time” the professor says. “Well, are there any local legends? Oral histories about the area” Shelby asked? “Well, you know, there's a Euchee tribe in Sapulpa. It's about sixty miles from here. Someone out there might know the truth”. “All right” I said with a smile and we head on the road again.

Shelby

We pull up to Oklahoma Diner and enter find a Native American man playing checkers at a table by himself. “Joe White Tree” Sam asks and the man nods. “We'd like to ask you a few questions, if that's all right” I said. “We're students from the university” Dean starts. “No, you're not, you're lying” Joe said, making Dean seems taken aback. “Well, truth is” Dean starts “you know who starts sentence with "truth is"? Liars” Joe said and Dean exchanges a look with me.

“Have you heard of Oasis Plains? It's a housing development near the Atoka Valley” Sam says. Joe looks to Dean “I like him. He's not a liar” Joe says which makes Dean look annoyed and angry. “I know the area” Joe says “what can you tell us about the history there” Sam asks? Joe is silent as he moves a peace on the checker board. I look at the board then at Joe. “How about a game” I ask and take a step in front of Sam and Dean.

Joe looks up at me “if I win, you tell us everything you know about Oasis Plains. If not, then we'll walk out of here and won't bother you again” I said. “Shelby” Dean says and Joe smiles “done, please take a seat” Joe says and I take off my jacket. “Shelby, are you crazy, this guy is probable amazing at checkers, he's like 100 years old” Dean whispers to me. “Well then, I guess we'll find out” I said and set my jacket down before setting up the board.

After about 20 minuets of playing Joe beats me by one checker. Dean and Sam sigh in frustration and I sigh in defeat. “I must say, I like your confidence, I'll tell you everything I know” Joe said and we all look up surprised but with a smile. “But why do you wanna know”? “Something... something bad is happening in Oasis Plains. We think it might have something to do with some old bones we found down there - Native American bones” Sam said. “I'll tell you what my grandfather told me, what his grandfather told him. Two hundred years ago, a band of my ancestors lived in that valley. One day, the American cavalry came to relocate them. They were resistant, the cavalry impatient. As my grandfather put it, on the night the moon and the sun share the sky as equals, the cavalry first raided our village”.

Dean, Sam, and I listened “they murdered, raped. The next day, the cavalry came again, and the next, and the next. And on the sixth night, the cavalry came one last time. And by the time the sun rose, every man, woman, and child still in the village was dead. They say on the sixth night, as the chief of the village lay dying, he whispered to the heavens that no white man would ever tarnish this land again. Nature would rise up and protect the valley. And it would bring as many days of misery and death to the white man as the cavalry had brought upon his people” Joe said. “Insects, sounds like nature to me, six days” Dean said. “And on the night of the sixth day, none would survive” Joe said and Sam, Dean, and I exchange a look.

We say thank you and walk back to the car “when did the gas company man die” Sam asked? “Uh, let's see, we got here Tuesday, so, Friday the twentieth” Dean said. “March twentieth, that's the spring equinox” I said. “The night the sun and the moon share the sky as equals” Dean said. “So, every year about this time, anybody in Oasis Plains is in danger. Larry built this neighborhood on cursed land” Sam said. “And on the sixth night, that's tonight” Dean said. “If we don't do something, Larry's family will be dead by sunrise. So how do we break the curse” I asked? “You don't break a curse. You get out of its way. We've gotta get those people out now” Dean said.