Chapter 6 - Dempsey

Mulai dari awal

"You could still be a mermaid Dixie. They sell the tails. You could start your own business. I'll be your manager" Zach adds with a chipper attitude.

"You're so cute dempz. You always cheer me up"

A peaceful silence descends over us. Before it can get too awkward I decide to give Zach a long overdue apology.

"Hey, I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when your dad died Zach. That was shitty of me"

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when Jeff died"

"Why would you have been? As far as you and our friends were concerned Jeff and I were just friends. If Hannah hadn't sent those tapes, you would still never have known" I explain quickly.

"Can I ask you a question? Well, a few questions actually"

"Of course"

"Why didn't you want anyone to know about you and Jeff? He was a good guy. Why the big secret?" The tall boy enquires.

"I just didn't want anyone getting involved. You know how school is. Girls would've made up rumours or tried it on with him just to cause shit"

"Why did you break up? When did you break up?"

"Why? Because I got too insecure. Even him talking to another girl drove me crazy. I had to end it before it turned toxic, me being the toxic one not Jeff. When? I don't remember the exact date but we'd been broken up a few months before he died"

"Why are you still close to Sheri? She's the one who caused Atkins to die"

"Because accidents happen Zach. There's numerous people that are to blame for what happened. I can't just cut everyone off because they all played a part in my secret ex boyfriends death"

"But you especially blamed Hannah--"

"Do you have any other questions Dempsey?" I interrupt him mid sentence not really wanting to answer that particular question.

"Why did you take her compliments?"

"It wasn't just me Zach. You took half of them too. She needed to pay for hurting you, for rejecting you"

̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

Dixie spotted Hannah sitting alone at her usual table. Deciding it was time to properly clear the air between them, the blonde girl took the seat opposite her sometimes friend.

"Hey friend"

"I'm not your friend Dixie"

"Oh c'mon han! Don't be like that. I said I was sorry about the Marcus thing"

"The Marcus thing?" Hannah scoffed.

"Yes. Now tell me, have you noticed a certain Jensen boy starting at you constantly?"