It appeared to be a new ball, black and white, slightly muddy in places. Debu meticulously cleaned the ball every day, missing to clean it after today's play.

"Fancy eh," Vikram joked, "do you play as well or is it just to impress tourists?"

"I can play very well Babu, why don't we have a match tomorrow?"

"Yes, sure! What about 7 am?"

"Well... can we make it at 8? I have to go with ma to fetch vegetables from the market at 7," Debu hoped the Babu wouldn't cancel.

"Okay no problem," Vikram smiled, "but only if you let me visit the market with you."

"Babu, the market is downhill, you will get tired."

"But then it's not fair, is it? Else how will we play a fair game?"

Debu thought for a while, before bringing out his hand to shake Vikram's, something he had learnt from the earlier travelers.

"That's my boy!" Vikram gave a firm handshake.

The next day early in the morning, Vikram left along with Debu and his mother to the market. The road downhill was rocky and narrow, difficult to tread even for an athlete like him. Yet, Debu and his mother strode effortlessly, her silver anklets chiming along the way.

Vikram felt energized by the morning mist and the rising sun, which presented a hazy orange shade to the otherwise blue sky. He heard several birds chirp and passed a bounty of blooming flowers, as he watched Debu and his ma merrily hopping through the wild landscape.

Vikram remembered his lift back home, which got him to his basement in a jiffy. He acknowledged the online grocery that delivered essentials every day at his doorstep. The simple things of life were a luxury to Debu. On the way he asked him if he went to school, to which he replied that his ma taught him every evening.

Vikram enjoyed his stroll through the market, buying several vegetables of his own, despite Debu's mother's repeated protests. He carried most of the vegetables back on his own as well, refusing to share the weight with either a lady or a child.

Once back at the cottage, Debu and Vikram proceeded to play football in the small grassy area beside the cottage. They placed sticks at the opposite ends to act as goalposts.

Vikram was quite impressed with young boy's dribbling skills. He even displayed an occasional nutmeg!

With a view to encourage the child, he let go off a few goals and lost 6-4 to Debu, who ran around excitedly, hands in the air, taking a victory lap.

That evening, they ate a sumptuous meal of pahadi chicken and rice together in the dining area, overlooking the spectacular mountains from the large wooden windows.

Vikram enthralled Debu with his varied adventures playing football all across the globe. Debu felt lost in this new world outside of his home.

The next day early in the morning, Vikram bade an emotional farewell to Debu to go back home. Debu cried a little in his room, but he dared not show his tears to anyone. He was all of six after all!

While cleaning Vikram's vacant room, ma found a gift box with shiny paper wrapped around it, placed on the sturdy oak table.

Written over it in clear cursive, were the words,

'To Debu'

There was a small heart drawn next to these words.

Ma gave it to Debu, who unwrapped it carefully to find a pair of brand new sports shoes inside.

Debu was ecstatic! After excitedly showing the pair to all at home, he placed it back in the box, deciding to wear it at his next professional game.

A few more busy months passed with several more visitors, but Debu missed Vikram Babu the most. Once, while clearing the room of another visitor, Debu found a sports magazine, which he inadvertently began to flip through.

On one of the pages, he found an article on the Indian football team, along with a write-up on the Indian captain Vikram Singh. This was along with few photographs of the captain and his team.

Debu instantly recognized Vikram to be the same tourist who stayed at their cottage a few weeks ago. He ran around his small village, showing that article to everyone who would see. He even showed it to some of the visitors at Holiday Inn, who were confused but elated with the little child's enthusiasm.

Debu, like any other child his age, cut out the photo from the magazine and pasted it on his cupboard, next to the poster of Bhaichung Bhutia.

He began to practice football more passionately. His new shoes reminded him of Vikram Singh, filling him with the hopes of meeting the famous footballer again someday. That year, his ma took him to the city to play a league match. His splendid performance gained him instant recognition as the 'Dribble Master'. 

Continuing his home run for few other league tournaments, he was very soon spotted and sponsored to play state matches. He was even enrolled in one of the government schools for the same, and very soon became a torch bearer of the under 12 state football team.

Initially, he was very expectant of meeting Vikram Singh at the matches, searching for him among the VIP crowds. But soon both his memory and shoes began to fade, till a point that Debu stopped thinking about him.

After his 16th birthday, which was celebrated at Holiday Inn with much fanfare, Debu was called for a meeting by the selectors of the under 19 team, to represent India globally.

Dressed in his rarely worn formals, he entered the meeting, to find a familiar face waiting for him.

The same warm smile and athletic body, only slightly grayed hair. Debu found himself greeting Vikram Singh with a firm handshake.

"Welcome to the team Dibang, we are elated to have a footballer of your calibre join our team. Hope you make India proud."

"Thank you sir," he smiled, "I am a big fan actually, I have grown up watching your games."

Vikram felt proud. Handing over a packet to Debu, he said, "I thought I'd bring you your team jersey. Would you be ready for a game now, the boys are already on the field."

"Sure," Debu began to open the packet, containing the light blue Indian jersey with his name Dibang Jamsenpa printed in bold on the back.

He then looked down at the formal shoes on his feet. He didn't know that he would be expected to play a game that day and wasn't carrying any sports shoes either.

Sensing his hesitation, Vikram added, "We are very sorry we hadn't informed you about the game earlier. I guess you aren't carrying any extra shoes. Should I ask someone to bring a pair of sports shoes for you?"

Debu smiled. 

"Vikram Babu, you began my journey with a good pair of shoes once. Let me repay that debt to you first."

Saying this, Debu jogged out of the room, leaving a confused Vikram to decode his words.