"How was Christopher's one-hundred day party?" she asked, removing her stethoscope from her ears and wrapping it over her neck.

"Amazing, thanks to you. His class loved the lollipops." He shot her a lopsided grin as she merely shrugged off the compliment.

"I help the kids at the group home with class projects all the time. This was no different."

"It means the world to Christopher so it means a lot to me."

"Eddie, I'd do anything for the kid."

The ambulance doors flew open, the trauma team waiting for them to pass on the gurney. The three firefighters followed them in once Mariana announced that they needed to stock up on some supplies before they headed back to the station.

"How's your day going?" the brunette asked a suspicious Anna DuBois. Her friend narrowed her eyes as Mariana plopped into the seat next to her and batted her eyelashes innocently.

"What do you want?" she drawled. Eddie and Chimney chuckled from where they were leaning up against the nurse's station.

"I need the key to the supply closet," Mariana said sweetly.

"So you can raid my perfectly organized gauze? You devil."

"Leslie loves me more."

Mariana snatched the key out of Anna's hand just as the blonde let out a scandalous gasp. Mari winked at her and gestured for the guys to follow her down the hall. She turned the corner to go towards the paramedic/nurse supply closet when the sight of a woman talking to a nurse made her freeze.

"Woah, what's the roadblock for?" Chimney exclaimed as he ran into her back. Leslie turned at the voices and quickly hurried towards them.

"Go stock up. I need to talk about something," Mariana intoned robotically, passing Eddie the key. Leslie gently pulled her away from them.

"What is she doing here?" Mariana hissed.

"It's Diego but it's not serious. He fell on the playground and broke his arm but he'll be fine," Leslie explained. Mariana practically saw red from how angry she was as her body trembled in an attempt to control her rage.

"Is that what she told you?"

"That's what the school reported. Valentina was worried when she came to the hospital, Mari. I'm not excusing her past actions but it seems like she's making an effort. Your uncle is in prison for thirteen more years, Mariana."

"She wasn't the one who beat the shit out of me. She just never stopped him when he did."

"There's no evidence of abuse and a social worker still makes monthly visits. His teachers say he's doing well and excelling in class. He's a cheerful little boy and he loves to talk. He reminds me of Luis and he definitely has some of the Ramirez sass in him. I can ask Valentina to let you see him if that will help."

"No. I don't want to confuse him. If he's doing well, he doesn't need my issues ruining him." She glanced over at Valentina who was talking to someone on the phone and then back at Leslie. "I can't be someone's mom. I'm too fucked up."

"You and I know that's bullshit," Leslie argued. "When will you see yourself the way we see you?"

Mariana let out a frustrated huff and shook her head. "Whatever."

"You can't run forever, Mariana."

The younger woman brushed past her boss and joined Eddie who was watching from the supply closet doorway. He met her halfway, an inquisitive look on his face.

"Alright?" he asked.

"I'll be fine," she replied shortly.

"That didn't answer my question. Are you alright?"

She glanced back at Valentina who was staring her down. Mariana squared her shoulders, clenched her jaw, and leveled her with a glare. She didn't even realize how tense she had become until Eddie grabbed one of her hands and squeezed it.

"Hey, what's going on?"

"Nothing," she lied, turning back to meet his dark eyes. "It's just something silly. Are we done?"

"Hey, idiots! Can we go now?" Chimney called from down the hall. The two shared a bemused look before following him back to the ambulance, their knuckles brushing as they walked.

"Coming over tonight?" he asked. It was such a casual question because she basically came over every night at this point. She sighed and shook her head.

"I'm doing an extra half shift so Andy can attend his daughter's recital. You two have fun though!"

"And you be safe."

"Always am."