𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 43.

"𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊, 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐒, 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑 me out."

I stood in the open doorway with my arms crossed, and my lips pursed as I stared at him. He had the cheeky smile plastered over his face, as usual, and the can of Cherry Cola resting in his left hand— the condensation of it dripping down over his fingers. With my strongly pursed lips, I shifted my eyes towards the van parked beside the curb, two outlined figures sitting in the back. I looked back to John B.

    "Funny seeing you here," I shouted, so he could hear me. I leant to the side, resting my shoulder on the wooden doorframe. This was the first time we were speaking in almost a week.

    "I'm just gonna get to the point, because I know you hate me right now." he sighed out, "I'm sorry for acting like a dickhead," he squinted his eyes, his voice loud, "I was really immature and I'm sorry."

    I looked at him, my teeth biting on the inside of my cheek. He seemed sincere, and looked sincere, but somehow my feet wouldn't move, and I couldn't think of anything meaningful to say.

    "Okay." I simply said, popping my bottom lip out, keeping place at the door. An unintentional hint of sarcasm slipped between my words and minimal actions.

    It was quiet for a moment. John B looked back to the van, and the soft wind breezed past us. He didn't know how to reply.

    "Okay," He repeated, putting a hand out to his side. His face twisted with a slight confusion.

    "Yeah, okay." I shrugged, and then turned on my heel.

    "Where are you going, Charlotte," he called, his voice sounding normal, but puzzled.

    "To finish my book." I replied blatantly, not turning back to look at him.

    "I know it's cheesy, and so stupid, but Charlie," he was saying, as I opened the screen door, "I'm here to apologize. If you don't want the drink I'll give it to Pope—"

    The screen door closed behind me with a small thud, and I wasted no time in marching over to my original spot on the couch.

    Maybe he was sorry, maybe he had been thinking about his actions over the last few days, and maybe he was really making an effort to apologize. And it was stupid of me to be stubborn, when I was the one who started the whole issue by lying to everyone. I didn't know how to react.

    "I was dumb," he sighed loudly. He was still standing in his place in the middle of the lawn, the can still in his hand.

    I picked up the book and huffed, letting my feet guide me down the hall.

    "A little bitch, if you will." I could hear him shout.

    I was stepping into my bedroom, and placing the book down onto my bed. I knew he was still out there, even though he wasn't saying anything, as I stepped over to my closet, and opened the sliding door. Quickly, I switched out my pyjama shorts for jean ones. Right as I placed the silk piece of clothing onto the floor, my eyes trailed up and landed on the blue worn-out bandanna sitting on the top shelf of my closet. I paused for a moment, before grabbing it between my fingers.

    "Charlie, I know it sounds sappy and shit, but we all miss you," he called, "Like, a lot. Even Pope."

    I almost laughed when he said Pope's name. I tied the bandanna around my wrist.

    "You don't have to forgive me, or anything, and we could just forget about it," he said, meaning it, "But we haven't done anything since you left,"