"You must think very little of me, to think me capable of embarrassing him or manipulating the situation to my advantage. You barely know me, Madam." Margaret said.

She knew it was not polite to speak to her elder in this way, yet there was nothing polite about this conversation. To be confronted in such a way in an enclosed space with no means of escape - it was nothing short of an ambush.

"I think it no great secret that I don't agree with some of the things you've seen fit to do in the short time you have been in Milton, Miss Hale. If marrying you will make my son happy, I will put aside my own opinions. What I will not do, Miss Hale, is allow you to play him for a fool."

Margaret had had quite enough of the Thorntons for one day. They spoke too bluntly, too freely. It enraged her, for she was unused to being questioned in such a way. She found it rude and boorish. Mrs Thornton was staring at her expectantly, yet Margaret was sure she did not know how to respond to such frankness.

For this woman to talk of marriage as though it were no more than a business arrangement! It was a bold assumption that Margaret would even wish to marry Mr Thornton, for as far as anyone knew they did not even like each other at all.

"I think I shall walk the rest of the way." Margaret said, though of course she could not. She was being petulant and was well aware of the fact, but she resented being spoken to in this manner.

"Do not be ridiculous. I'll not be accused by John of any wrongdoing, I am taking you home and delivering you to your parents. I'll not tell them what happened today, if that's what you're worried about. But, my girl, you need to think on your behaviour and your intentions towards my son. He is a good man, an honorable man."

Margaret did not wish to hear of Mr Thornton's honour. Indeed at this moment she had no wish to hear of Mr Thornton at all. She wanted to go home, to change her clothes and wash her face and forget that this miserable day had happened at all.

"I think I should like to end this conversation." Margaret stared out of the window. "I will not be spoken to in this way by anyone, Mrs Thornton. Least of all you."

"You'd do well to hold your tongue." Mrs Thornton said. "Look, we are almost there. I'll see you in but not speak with your parents if that is what you wish. You need to be more conscious of your conduct in future, especially in regards to my son. Any of the servants, or heaven forbid my own daughter, could have overheard your conversation today."

So Mrs Thornton had been listening! Margaret should not have been so surprised, yet she still felt as though the embarrassment would burn her alive.. It had been awful enough that there had been such unpleasantness with Mr Thornton, but to know that the scene had had an audience was utterly mortifying.

"Thank you for seeing me home." Margaret replied as the driver opened the door. "I am sorry if I have caused you inconvenience today, for it was truly not my intention."

Mrs Thornton held her gaze. Margaret did not flinch, nor did she look away. She would not be intimidated by Mrs Thornton, for she had done nothing to warrant it. It was not Margaret's fault this woman saw fit to interfere with her son's life. How apt that so many called this woman a dragon-her eyes held pure fire within them.

"You saved my son from a danger today, and I'll thank you for that. Those men would have torn him to pieces given half a chance. Rest, Miss Hale. You do not look yourself. Think about what I have said."

Margaret felt shame in her chest, as though she were caught in a vice. It crushed her, a squeezing kind of emptiness she could not describe.

"Good day, Mrs Thornton. Thank you, most sincerely, for your assistance."