"I shall not tell you the rest if that is your reaction." Margaret teased. Her own breath had turned shaky and uneven, her hands shaking in her lap as she sat back down.

"Oh there's more?!" Bessie asked. "Is this going to be what finishes me off?"

Margaret frowned; she did not like it when her friend spoke so easily of death.

"Do not speak like that! No - he came for his usual lesson with father last night, a few days earlier than we had anticipated. I think - I think that he came so that he could speak with me about what happened at the dinner party. Oh heaven forgive me I do not know what came over me Bessie! For I - I kissed him! Quite without invitation, I just sort of - lunged at him."

Bessie gasped, and grabbed Margaret's hands, as though she was afraid Margaret would flee Princeton before the tale was complete.

"No! Margaret Hale, you are quite the dark horse! Kissing a handsome man like Thornton in dark corners. Ooh, I am jealous!" Bessie tittered, spluttering as she laughed.

The laughter turned to vicious coughing. Her breath was coming in sharp, painful sounding wheezes. It saddened her greatly to hear her friend struggling so; another reminder of what this terrible place did to people. Bessie was good, and honest, and kind. She did not deserve this.

"Do not joke, Bessie!" Margaret said when she was satisfied that her friend was comfortable. "It is wrong. Terribly wrong. Women have lost their reputations for less."

"Not 'round here." Bessie shrugged. A mischevious smile spread over her face. "Folk are always having a cheeky kiss and a squeeze in the back alleys!"

"Elizabeth Higgins!" Margaret said in shock. "What are you saying?!"

"Not me! And not Mary neither, Father would have our hides! You're young, you're beautiful - what a shame to waste it."

"Bessie, I do believe you have gone quite mad." Margaret exhaled shakily. "Are you angry at me?"

"Why?"

"He is your enemy!"

Bessie shook her head, her eyes sliding closed. She looked exhausted, and Margaret felt a surge of guilt for burdening her with this secret.

"He's no enemy of mine, I doubt the man would know me from Eve. Father might not be best pleased, mind, if you end up marryin' a master. I've always thought Thornton the best of the lot of them, you know that. I knew you were sweet on him! I could see it in your eyes that day you were talking about him!"

"I do not know what is going on in my mind." Margaret buried her face in her hands. "I think him the most infuriating man I have ever known."

"That's always how it starts." Bessie said, though her smile was weary. "Gosh, all this excitement has quite worn me out."

"I'm sorry, I did not mean to tire you so. Can I make you a cup of tea? Boil some water for you to breathe, anything?"

"I'm alright. I just - I just need to sleep. I'm sorry for the poor company. Will you come again tomorrow? If you can tear yourself away from-"

The sound of the door unlatching stopped Bessie, and she pressed her lips closed.

"Miss Margaret." Nicholas removed his hat. "Didn't think we'd be seein' ye again after ye dined with the masters."

"Nicholas." Margaret nodded in greeting. "How are things?"

"Quiet. It's been goin' on too long now." He said. "Folk are gettin' restless. Somethin's in the air, an' I don't much like it."