A Brand New Determination

Nancy and Helen waited with bated breath as Jane laughed.

"Why, Mr. Gomber, what are you so concerned about? There are always people at the Inn, someone must have just heard some good news." She tsked. "My goodness, how many times do I have to keep reminding you that?" Nancy and Helen glanced at each other. She had reminded him of that before? This guy really was on edge. At least on edge around Lilac Inn. Elsewhere, he seemed to be able to hide it well. Nancy wondered why that was. Was Gomber anxious because she and her father were making things harder for him to achieve his goals? What were those goals, in fact? A guy wanting both Lilac Inn and Twin Elms at low prices certainly suggested some nefarious plan, but Nancy had no clue as to what that was, though the Hardys seemed sure that the railroad had something to do with it. She agreed, they had a point, but what exactly did Gomber plan to do with the two properties? She sucked in a soft breath. If she hadn't found Josiah's will and not only saved Lilac Inn from financial ruin but also from Marion Aborn and her family, Gomber might have well been the new owner of it by now. She pressed her lips into a thin line. She has practically been a thorn in his side for a while now, without even knowing about it.

"Oh, fine," grumbled Gomber. "Has anyone been in my room?"

"No, no one's been in your room," replied Jane. Nancy closed her eyes and let out a very soft breath of relief. She was glad now that she didn't go in. Sure, she would have found the entry to the secret tunnels and probably some clues to her father's whereabouts as well as to Gomber's real plans for the two lots, but right now would have caused Gomber to get rid of all of those clues as well as try something drastic to get away. And if he had found them in the room? Things could have gone downhill real fast, she and Helen might have been captured too, and that would make things really hard to save her father. No, it would be best to wait for Ida and Izzy to come back with their traps and get set up. But Gomber basically confirmed it for Nancy that the most findable entrance to the secret tunnels was in his room.

"Good," he mumbled.

"Was there anything else you needed?"

"No," he mumbled. Nancy and Helen heard him stomping up the stairs.

"Alright, well, goodbye! See you at supper!" Jane called after him.

"That woman deserves an award for being so nice to such characters like Gomber," whispered Helen.

"Keep it down," whispered Nancy. "But I do agree with you." The girls waited a few minutes before Jane opened the door.

"Alright, he's gone now."

"Thank you," said Nancy as the two walked out.

"But he'll be back down for dinner, so you should get out of here soon."

"And we do need to get home and get something to eat," said Helen. She glanced at Nancy, and Nancy understood she had left out a part. They also had to find out what the ghost had been up to and figure out some way to fortify their room while they slept. It was going to be the two of them without anyone else. Nancy pursed her lips. Unless she got Chief McGinnis to send an officer again. That might have to be the way to go.

She merely nodded. "Yes, we should. But first." She turned to Jane. "You still have my number?"

Jane smiled. "Of course!"

"Great! If you, Edna, and Mary could watch Nathan Gomber and see if he has a schedule he keeps to, maybe we could find an opening for us to look at his room, even a quick one, that would be great. Just send me a text with the times when he's usually out for the longest."

Jane nodded. "That we can do. Mary and Edna might be able to help you more with that, but I'll see what we observe and keep you posted."

Nancy smiled. "Thanks. Talk to you later!"