Break for a Picnic, Sorta

After church the next day, Carson said farewell to Nancy and left for Chicago. She felt sad for a bit, like she always did whenever her father left to go on business, but that was quickly forgotten, especially when it came time for the picnic. Helen had taken care of inviting everyone while Emily and Izzy handled the picnic preparations, for the most part. They made sure everyone knew to bring a little something to share. The girls themselves made sandwiches to bring to the picnic. But while Nancy was helping make sandwiches, a thought crossed her mind. She shared Rosemary's concern for leaving the house unattended, but the majority of the time, the hauntings only happen when someone was there. So far, that she noticed anyways. She pursed her lips. Would anything happen while they were all gone? It would be easier for the ghost to create havoc in an empty house, that's for sure. But would he take advantage of that, or just try to scare everyone when they were in the house?

"Nancy!"

Nancy jumped and glanced at Helen, hands on her hips. "What?"

"I know that look. Your dad suggested the break, so take a break!"

Nancy chuckled sheepishly. "Oh, alright." But her mind was made up at that point, she had formed a plan and she was going to act upon it. Once they finished making the sandwiches, Nancy offered to take them out to the car and wait for the others. Ida wanted to spruce herself up a little bit more, Izzy mumbling about her twin trying to catch some guy's eye.

"It's not like we're in our thirties or something," she mumbled before going to help. Emily and Helen went to help Rosemary get Flora to the car. That gave Nancy the time she needed to put her plan into action.

As soon as she placed the sandwiches in the trunk, she slid behind the wheel and called the police station.

"Chief McGinnis speaking, what do you need Nancy?"

Nancy gasped. "Why Chief McGinnis!"

"What? Your dad told me about your case and . . . shoot."

Nancy sighed. "He asked you to keep an eye on me while he was gone."

McGinnis chuckled nervously. "Couldn't tell him no, now could I? But enough of that. What were you calling me for?"

Nancy quickly explained the situation. "All I'm asking is for you to either have one of your men check up on the house from time to time or post a man here until we get back. And don't worry about going into the house. I just want to be sure that this so-called ghost isn't coming in from an outside point."

"Eliminating your culprit's paths, good. I'll be sure to send a man out there and I'll have him report his findings to you."

"Thanks Chief!"

"Now, one question . . ."

Nancy gulped. Now what? "Yeah?"

"Do you want him to report to you discreetly, or have him report in front of everyone in the house?"

Nancy drummed her fingers on her chin, thinking. "Good question . . . if I walk around the grounds, that means he should do it discreetly. If I wave at him from the house, that means he should report in front of everyone."

"Well, fair enough. I'll find a guy and send him out there for you."

"Thanks again, Chief!"

"Anything for the girl who's fast becoming my top detective."

Nancy chuckled. "I'm nowhere near there yet, but I'm aiming for it."

"Good to hear. Well, I'll talk to you later."