Chapter 23: Injuries

The Admiral was in the Communications Room with the head scientist. They were expecting a transmission from Sora. One of the large speakers in the room crackled to life.

'Azur Lane Main Base, this is Commander Sora Kaiyo. We have failed to retrieve the Chie Flower.' Everyone in the room was silent, anticipating more bad news. 'Admiral Hipper... she,' Sora's voice cracked. 'She's critically injured. Her Rigging has Auto-Purged. We are making our way back as fast as we can.'

Almost everyone in the room turned to the Admiral, awaiting his orders. He closed his eyes for a few seconds and came up with an idea. 'I need Prinz Eugen and Vestal to sortie as soon as possible; they will escort Commander Kaiyo, Admiral Hipper and Graf Zeppelin back to the Main Base and perform emergency repairs to Admiral Hipper if necessary.'

The Admiral then spoke over the base's loudspeakers. 'All medical staff and engineers, prepare to receive Commander Sora Kaiyo, Ironblood heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper and Ironblood aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin. Admiral Hipper has been critically injured and her Rigging has Auto-Purged.'

The Admiral contacted Sora with his radio. 'Sora, please tell me how this happened. What went wrong?'

'Everything was fine until we had to go back through the gateway. We ditched the plane just before we entered... the... gateway.' The commander went silent for several seconds. 'It's... all my fault. It was my idea to ditch the plane before entering the gateway. It's because of me that she's dying!' Sora yelled the last part before switching his radio off.

Sora pulled at his hair at his realisation, dropping Hipper in the process. Zeppelin swooped in and caught Hipper before she hit the ocean surface. The carrier then proceeded to get away from Sora as fast as possible, heading in the direction of the Main Base.

Back in the Communication's Room, the Admiral received a transmission from Graf Zeppelin. 'Admiral, I need help as soon as possible! Sora's gone crazy-' The transmission ended as Sora managed to tear Zeppelin's radio from her hand.

One of the R&D staff approached the Admiral. 'Sir, HMS Monarch and IJN Izumo have completed their combat trials; they're ready for their first mission.'

This is perfect, thought the Admiral. 'Monarch, Izumo and Tennessee are to sortie immediately!'

The Admiral's voice spoke from the loudspeakers in the sortie preparation room thingy. 'Girls, your mission is to rescue Graf Zeppelin and Admiral Hipper from a crazed Commander Kaiyo. Admiral Hipper is critically injured so be careful with her. Prinz Eugen and Vestal, you will escort Graf Zeppelin and Admiral Hipper back to the Main Base. Monarch, Izumo and Tennessee, you three will capture Commander Kaiyo and bring him back here as well. Good luck.'

The shipgirls found Graf Zeppelin before they could see Sora. Eugen and Vestal broke away from the other three and joined up with her.

The three remaining shipgirls saw Sora on the horizon several minutes after Eugen and Vestal joined up with Graf Zeppelin. They cautiously approached the crazed commander and as soon as he saw them, he started shooting at them. Fortunately, his aim was off because he couldn't focus. Tennessee charged in and Monarch and Izumo followed.

After struggling for some time, the shipgirls finally caught Sora.

A/N: The end of this chapter isn't as good as I would've liked it to be but I couldn't come up with another way to end it.