C h a p t e r 4 8

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Haye, Lola," I respired in disbelief, "Are you really saying these things right now? Didn't the Bible speak of God using the weak to shame the strong? That He uses the lowly to shame the wise? Hindi po ba't ito ang nangyayari ngayon? The apostles were untrained with the law too when they began according to the priests and sadducees, but they turned the whole world upside down with Jesus' message!"

"Apo, those were different events. Don't be decieved!"

"Lola, how are they different?" I shut my eyes in surrender, "Lola, why are you saying all this?"

"Bishop Samokey went there a few days ago to confront this group, but those workers of counterfeit signs would not repent!"

"Haan, Lola!" I countered, "This is not a counterfiet! How can you call God's work a counterfeit?" I stood to my feet, "Lives are changed! A renewal for the call to holiness and repentance is sweeping through the land. Hunger for God is manifesting in the lives of the people!" For a moment I felt my heart's pace double, "When was the last time you heard of a crime take place in Baguio these days? Weren't the police stations void? Weren't the hospitals void of new patients?"

There was silence for a while, and then I heard her release a breath, "I don't want you getting near any of these activities, Leah. That is final."

"Lola, I love you and respect you," I felt another tear line my face, "But I already am part of this. If religion is what will hinder me from being part of this revival, then I want none of it."

Slowly I lowered the phone to my side, biting the inside of my lip as I thought of her words. Sorrow for her soul gripped my being. Panginoon, palambutin Mo po ang puso niya, kailangan Ka niya, O Diyos.

Ibinalik ko ang tingin sa TV, and immediately a smile adorned my face, for now on the screen was Gabriel speaking. He stood in the midst of the Melvin Jones stage, his voice echoing through the microphone as he addressed the people. They focused the camera on him for a few moments and then returned it to the anchor.

"Marami ang nagtatanong kung sino nga ba ang binatang ito na siyang ginagamit ng Panginoon upang mapalaganap ang kaganapang nakikita natin ngayon. Siya po ay si Gabriel Daw-as. Madalas din siyang sinasamahan ng isang taga-awit sa simbahan na nagngangalang Grace Ngatiyon."

I watched as the anchor began to walk whilst she spoke, "Little is known about these two's background, but none seems to suggest that they were in any ministerial positions. Ayon sa naka-usap namin kanina na kasamahan nila sa simbahan; ang dalawang ito ay mga miyembro lamang ng youth ministry ng kanilang church. Si Gabriel, bagaman nagagamit sa mga 'Missions', ay isang lamang associate preacher at hindi isang promal na ministro sa kanilang iglesia. Ang dalawang nabanggit ay kasalukuyang mga mag-aaral ng Pinegrove National Highschool na siyang incoming Grade 12 students sa darating na pasukan."

Music began to play as she spoke, the echo of Grace's voice ringing through the speakers. I shut my eyes, lifting my hands in worship as I heard her sing. My whole body trembled, engulfed by the Presence of God as I sang along.

"Holy, Holy, Holy are You Lord!
Holy, Holy, Holy are You Lord!
The elders and angels bow
The redeemed worship You now,
Holy, Holy, Holy are You Lord!"