A part of me knew I should have stopped him, begged him not to hurt anyone, but another part wanted them gone just as badly. Shorzin killed me once and tried to again. Hell, I didn't even know how many times the guy's killed me, especially if Jess was right about that Angel of Death dude sending me back a lot.

       'He knew the only way to really get my attention was for a soul to call to every part of my own—the dark and all.'

       Then again, maybe I just wanted them gone.

       I kept my eyes closed the entire time and had little idea what was going on. I was expecting to hear screams, shouts, something, but it was nearly silent. The only thing out of the ordinary was that pulsing dark power that streamed off demon Adriel. It seemed to surge through the air, wrap around my skin and sink into my brain. Then it slipped just as easily away.

       I had no idea what Adriel did to Shorzin, or his group, but when he finally told me to open my eyes everyone was gone. Everyone except a horror-stricken Jess who was bent over and throwing up the contents of her stomach. Sympathy immediately racked through my chest, and I went to go help her, but demon/not-demon Dri gripped onto my wrist and stopped me.

       I glanced over at him as those familiar blue eyes flickered from her to me. "She's still one of them. I don't want you near her."

       I ripped my arm away and glared at his stupid handsome face. "She basically saved me, and you. I don't think she would have if she wanted me dead." I turned on my heel and walked over to the small girl. He didn't stop me.

       "Hey, it's okay." I tried to sound soothing as I rubbed my hand awkwardly down her thin back. She had stopped vomiting but was still bent over dry heaving.

       "He is... not good." Jess breathed heavily as her hands pressed against her knees. I frowned but stayed silent. I wasn't sure what to say. No, I didn't think he was good. They wouldn't have locked him up for centuries if he was ending wars and striving for world peace, but that didn't mean I could stop loving the guy either. Or demon, or whatever the fuck he was.

       "It's alright." Were the only soothing words I could think to say as she stood back up and wiped at her mouth with the back of her sleeve. Those bright green eyes darted to Adriel standing a few yards away, watching us intently.

       "You must know," She started softly, even though neither of us pretended like he couldn't hear, "I would have given anything to keep him locked away. If there was another choice, I would never have told you how to wake him."

       "Why did you?"

       Jess brought those creepy green eyes back to mine, and there was no denying the fear shining there. "You have more yet to do. I could not allow you to die."

       I swallowed and tried to shove down the unpleasant shiver her words sent down my spine. Why couldn't I just live my life? Why was there always some bullshit legend and creepy psychics telling me I had more to do? It also didn't help that my boyfriend was a crazy fallen angel who created vampires.

       "I will leave now." Jess straightened completely, her eyes flickering uneasily to Adriel before at the desolate space around us. College kids were streaming out of the buildings now, though more than half of them didn't seemed surprised at the chaos. It made me wonder how much of the town actually knew all of this was real, and how many weren't human at all.

       "There is much I need to discuss with what remains of the council."

       A dark grumble sounded behind us, and I looked over my shoulder to see a dark, determined expression take over Adriel's face. I gulped and looked away. "Um, I wouldn't talk about that around him. He doesn't seem to like it."