Chapter 14: Realizations - Dex

A/n: Ha, I'm way too busy to write lately! I'll try to update both my stories as much as I can, but I'll be gone for a few days next week, and the whole week after that. Why? Because my parents apparently really like keeping us busy. So, I'll try to keep up my every other day routine, but I may update every day of I can. Sooo, here's the chapter!

PoV: Dex

Biana clung to my arm as we walked as if it was the only important thing in the world. It was strange, but I wasn't going to complain. I missed her as well, and if she had gone into a strange coma thing for almost a week, I would be worried too. I guess I was finally understanding Sophie after Keefe went into his coma.

Annabeth pushed a door open and inside were three familiar faces. Marella smiled and ran up to me, wrapping me in a hug, with Linh following at her heels. I saw Biana looking at them jealously, but I didn't give it much thought, since I was too happy to see my friends. Tam didn't move from his spot in the corner, but he did give me a half smile when we made eye contact. 

 "Are you okay, Dex?" Linh asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine Linh." I smiled.

"Where's Fitz? " Marella asked, " Is he okay? "

I bit my lip, "Um... I'm not entirely sure?"

"How are you 'not sure '? Haven't you guys been working together against the Neverseen?"

" Uh... yeah, we have been, but... something happened and we got separated. I don't really remember what it was. "

I thought I sounded stupid, but Marella just nodded and backed away. "Who's that?" Tam spoke up, pointing at Nico.

 " This is Nico, " I introduced, "He's also a Shade."

 Nico glared at me for a second before looking at Tam. The two of them stared at each other for a while. Biana coughed to break the awkward silence, "Okay, Dex is back, we need to find Fitz now."

" Didn't you say you knew where they were Annabeth? " Marella asked.

"Yeah, I think I do." Annabeth replied, "But I could be wrong. "

I tried to keep myself from laughing. There was no way Annabeth was wrong. Sure, maybe the others thought she was Talentless and had the notion that would mean she could be wrong, but, because I had known her longer than they had - even if Tam and Linh were also at school - I knew she was rarely wrong. Not to mention my father was also a Talentless, and he's smarter than some people.

 "Well, let's just figure it all out." I said, "If you're right, then we need a plan."

" Why would we need a plan? " Linh asked, "Aren't we just looking for him?"

" You guys 'went looking' for Marella and almost died, remember?" Sophie pointed out.

"How much did I miss?" I asked as Linh and Marella shuddered.

"Just enough for us to wish you were here earlier. " Biana replied.

I stuck my hand in the cape pocket, remembering the blue pathfinder inside as my fingers brushed the handle. "Hey, Soph?"

" Yeah, Dex? " Sophie asked.

"Can I talk to you?"

Sophie shrugged, " Sure. "

I patted Biana's hand and she let go of my arm. Sophie and I walked out of the room and into the hall. She shut the door behind us, "What is it?" 

I wrung my hands together, " Um, so you know how I had to go to my house to get the pathfinder? "

"Wait, what?"

" Oh, right, Forkle didn't tell you. Uh, so, after the goblins and stuff destroyed the base, Forkle gave me a pathfinder that led me here. I ended up giving it to my dad, since I knew he'd lose it in their room for me, but while I was looking for it, Nico found this. " I pulled out the blue pathfinder, watching as Sophie's eyes widened.

"But, your dad isn't supposed to have that!" Sophie exclaimed.

"Yeah, and my mom could only get it from the Black Swan, " I added, "and there's no way she would leave it there. If she wasn't using it, it'd go back to Forkle. If she was, she'd have it." 

" So it's not your parents, the triplets wouldn't have it, especially in your parents room, and it's not yours." Sophie summarized. She continued when I nodded, "And you don't know where it leads?"

" Nope. And, in full honesty, I'm a bit too nervous to find out. "

"I don't blame you. Can I see it?" I handed the pathfinder to Sophie, " Hmm... well, I don't recognize it. Maybe it belonged to the Black Swan and your mom forgot about it? "

"No way. Nico found it right away. It had to be out in the open , which means she would've seen it."

" Maybe it belongs to the Neverseen then. "

"But what would a Neverseen pathfinder be doing in my parents bedroom?"

Sophie didn't have to reply before I answered my own question. " They were looking for something. " she replied, "and this for left behind."

" They were looking for the pathfinder. " I realized.

"You don't know that!"

" Pretty sure I do. The Neverseen members attacked, according to Nico. He said they were looking for you and Annabeth. I don't know why, but they were looking for the pathfinder to try to find you. "

"How would they know you had it?" Sophie asked, "Only you, Forkle, and your dad knew. "

 "I don't know, but that has to be it." Something else suddenly came to mind, "Wait! Forkle had to talk with Oralie in order for the counsel to allow me to have the pathfinder. He told me he never told her I was the one receiving it. If the Neverseen learned she gave permission for it to be given to one off us -"

"They'll go to all our homes to find it." Sophie finished.

" Exactly. "

Sophie's eyes grew even wider, "Wait. Does that mean they attacked our families?"

 I felt my worry change to utter fear. Sophie's expression matched how I felt. Without another word, we both ran to the door and jerked it open.

Well, this didn't go where I had planned it to, tbh! I was just writing and suddenly realized I could add that ending in there, because it made sense. So, now you have to live with my decisions. Honestly, I'm not sorry. See y'all later!