"Tyler, would you like to come in for some cookies? A neighbour dropped them off this morning."

"I'd love to, thank you."

His mom disappears back into the kitchen, and Leo presses another kiss to my lips. "You could have told me you were coming over sometime before you got here."

I grin. "I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Is that why you started rambling about public indecency as soon as I figured out you were outside?"

"It's called stalling. And I am an expert at it."

He rolls his eyes. "Whatever you say. Now come on."

He takes my wrist and drags me inside. His mom is pouring us each a glass of milk, and she's put a bunch of cookies on a plate. They're chocolate chip, from the looks of it. I approve of this neighbour. "Alright, be careful on your way up the stairs, I just vacuumed. And try not to get crumbs in your sheets," she tells Leo, handing him the plate and one glass. I take the other, and we carefully make our way up the stairs to Leo's room.

Vivian is one of the best mothers I've ever met. She's super understanding, and her relationship with Leo is close. Also, she assumes that Leo and I want to be alone most of the time we're together, and she doesn't seem to have any problem with that. Leo's told me that once we've been together for a few weeks, she'll start inviting me to dinner. I told him that sounds fantastic, because I adore her cooking. There's something special about eating a meal that's homemade instead of microwaved. And something special about eating with other people instead of alone.

We hang out in Leo's room for a little while, finish the milk and cookies, until an alarm goes off on both our phones at the same time. I grin and take the plate and my now-empty glass, and we go downstairs. We put the dishes in the dishwasher, I thank Vivian, and we go to the door, slipping on our shoes.

"Heading out?" Vivian calls.

"Yeah. Be back in time for dinner," Leo calls back.

"Alright. Be safe!"

"We will, Mom. Bye!"

We leave his house and walk hand in hand. I look at him out of the corner of my eye, smiling a little. He doesn't wear his mask in public, now. After the tournament, I started wondering why he was so set on our agreement, in which I would have won the match and tournament. I eventually realized that it was a form of punishing himself- by taking second, he wouldn't have been able to move away from the place where he was hurt for his sexuality. And after dealing with that kind of treatment for so long, it took a toll on him and made him think he deserved it: hence, not moving away as quickly as possible, as well as wearing the mask. Now that he's away from all that, he's seemed a lot more comfortable with himself. Happier.

"You're smiling," he states, and my smile grows.

"I'm thinking about you. You being here."

"Awwwww," he teases, smirking a little.

"Shush. We're here."

I push open the doors, and we enter. I can already hear Coach Turner yelling announcements, so I try to be discreet as we go into the training area where the team is gathered on the floor around the coach. Coach Turner, of course, notices us.

"Ah! Our new recruit! Care to introduce yourself?"

Leo clears his throat awkwardly. "Uh... hi. I'm Leo."

Vick, naturally, notices our joined hands and narrows his eyes at us. "Like... Leo? Who won the tournament because this moron didn't show up?" He gestures to me. Leo blushes a little.

"Um... yes."

The team stares at us. Which is fair. They just found out I'm gay, or at least not straight. Also, they're now seeing the face of the person they'd only seen before wearing a mask. Also, they're finding out that we're dating- or at least in enough of a relationship to be holding hands.

"Where's your mask?" Nick asks, probably because he's too stunned to say anything else.

"At home," he answers.

"Alright!" Coach Turner claps his hands. "Listening! Boys, sit down."

We do. Vick nudges Leo and whispers, "You're joining our team?"

He nods, smiling.

"You moved here?"

He nods again, before whispering back, "My mom and I have been trying to move for a while. But we couldn't afford it."

"And that's why Tyler forfeited the tournament?"

Leo smiles a little and nods. Vick meets my eyes, and I nod as well. Vick gives me a small smile. I let out a little breath of relief, then sneak my arm around my boyfriend's waist and turn to pretend to listen to Coach Turner.

Even if everything isn't perfect right now- my parents are still gone most of the time, Coach Turner still isn't thrilled with my forfeit of the final match, and some of the guys are still pissed at me- I feel like I have everything I need. The people who know me best are on my side, and that's what matters: my best friend, and the boy I love.

End