Chapter 4: Cyber Sleuth

Start from the beginning

This was Kyoko Kuremi, my boss. I am working under her as a Cyber Sleuth. I go around places, fixing all things related to cyberspace. This time is no different. She got a request to investigate something, and she asked me for my help, or more specifically, my Connect Jump. She was the one who named this ability of mine.

"Oh, you got here quite fast, my dear Watson." She said. Yeah, that's another thing. She likes to call me Watson. Like Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Watson. It's appropriate though, so I let her call me that.

"Well, you know me and devils. We got magic." I said, half-joking half-serious. She is aware of the supernatural, by the way. In fact, she's some sort of unofficial advisor for the ORC club.

"True... true..." She said. "Now then, here's what's going on..."

I turned my full attention to what she's about to say.

"Have you heard about the rumors of people getting possessed by a spider spirit?" She asked.

"I think I heard about them when I was passing by last time..." I said. "If I recall correctly, the people who got possessed started to act strange, duh. They started hissing at other people. And the strange thing is, whenever someone touched them, those people would disappear and end up in a spider's web."

Kyoko nodded. "That's about it."

"It could be just the work of an actual spirit. Or a stray devil." I suggested.

"That's what I thought at first, but take a look at this."

She showed me a recording of the actual scene of the people getting possessed. "Look closely here." She put the video on slow motion when the people touched the possessed person. The video looked... glitchy.

"This is..." I said.

"The work of a stray Digimon." Guilmon popped out from my phone.

"Here's what I think happened." She began. "My theory is that whenever someone touches them... they were sent into a cyberspace where the Digimon did whatever they did."

"So, what should I do?" I asked,

Kyoko merely smirked.

~ Timeskip ~

"This is ridiculous." I complained.

"This is completely and utterly ridiculous." I complained once again.

"Oh, come on. This is the most effective way to figure this out and catch the culprit red-handed." Kyoko said through my earpiece.

"Easy for you to say! I'm the one at risk here!" I argued.

"It's for the greater good..." She said gravely.

I sighed. What was Kyoko's plan, you ask? Well, it's simple. I was supposed to go to where the last possessed was sighted and act as bait. Simple plan, but effective, but also highly dangerous for me and can easily backfire.

"Let's just get this over with..." I resigned myself to my fate, too tired to argue back.

"Now, that's my dear Watson!" Kyoko complimented. "Now get moving!"

I sighed once again and started walking around. I am currently located in the lobby of Nakano.

I was to look for anyone who acted suspiciously. I also told Guilmon to keep an eye out for any digital wave fluctuation that might happen.

"The Possessed? Hmm... Nah, I haven't really seen anyone who acted like in that rumor." Random NPC #1 said after I asked him if he had seen anyone who acted strangely. "Why are you curious anyway?"