How they help you feel better

Start from the beginning

You try to reassure her that this just happens sometimes, but Anisa still hurries out of the room and returns with an armful of wanted posters. She couldn't be more genuine as she swears that if any of the merc packs or local thugs ever step out of line with you, it would be her honour to set things straight, if you'll allow her.

You gently take her hands and draw her up from where she's been half kneeling to make the promise, holding both of her hands in yours and rubbing your thumb over hers to comfort her. Then you make her laugh by pointing to the wanted posters and saying 'err... isn't that Sage?'

You two continue with what you had planned for the day, agreeing that sometimes sticking to a routine can be helpful, especially when you have someone with you to keep you going when needed.

But Anisa also starts writing you a small letter during all the moments when you're not looking. At the end of the day, she gives you the letter, apologising in advance for all her messy writing and telling you to open it later, otherwise she'll be way too embarrassed.

The letter is about all the stupid stuff you do that makes Anisa happy and brightens her day, even when you're in the worst mood ever. It's full of funny drawings, like one of her captain's face when she lied and told him you're Felix's cousin. It cracks you up so much that you have to go to her room and thank her and tell her you're keeping it forever. The touched expression on her face as she starts laughing means more to you than you can say, and does a ton to brighten your day too.

Felix

The words 'I'm in a bit of a low-' have barely been uttered before Felix draws a deep breath through his nose, presses both hands on his desk and abruptly stands to his feet, announcing 'come with me', as if you have just spoken the passcode to a secret society and there is not a moment to lose.

Felix immediately takes you to one of his hidden sanctuaries- this one contains his much-hinted-about 'cursed tome collection', a name which only begins to describe just how cursed these books turn out to be. Felix needs to advise you on several dire precautions for handling the texts and not speaking passages from them, even though most are written in languages so diabolical that Felix refuses to include them in his translation spells for you.

He does, however, explain the infernal purpose of each of the books to you, including the book where every page has been incinerated beyond recognition, and the book where opening it causes frothing black hellslime to splash down the front of your robes. You yell to wake the dead and Felix bursts into ridiculous laughter, apologising and hugging you and using a quick incantation to reverse the damage, explaining that book is so much more fun when it's a surprise. You're nervously laughing too as you tell him he really has it coming now. But while your heart just got the jumpstart of a lifetime, this is a strangely better feeling than the numbness in your chest this morning.

Next, Felix portals you both to a graveyard, keeping one of the cursed tomes tucked under his arm. His eyes light up with a rather nefarious energy as he asks how many corpses you might like him to reanimate, or whether you think any have possibly been buried in locations other than the ancient-looking graves.

"What?!' you blurt, but Felix just pats your arm and tells you not to worry, if he passes out from the gravity of the spell, the decaying bodies will simply collapse as soon as he's out cold.

"How... how about I read to you instead??" you try again. As much as you appreciate the lengths Felix will go to to show you that he cares, you'd rather have him in your arms with a hot chocolate and blankets than in your arms half-dead himself. Felix acquiesces to being dragged back to Fathom with you, mumbling that you wield far too much dark power now that you know about his soft-spot for goopy romance novels.

Later, Felix shyly presents you with the latest book in his favourite romance series, which he hasn't even started reading yet. He clears his throat and apologises in advance for any... interesting... content, as he's not exactly sure what the first few chapters will entail. He also asks if you would prefer him to read to you instead, he says he knows he's a bit dreadful at making people feel better, but he'll never ever give up on trying, or on you.

You shake your head and whisper that just him being there helps you feel better. You also can't help but feel uplifted at his barely-contained excitement as you start reading, Felix is apparently the sort of person who has to constantly cover his mouth with his hand because he doesn't want you to see him grinning like a fool or looking devastated at all the shocking parts. At one point you have to tug back his hand because it's so amusing and you're trying to see his face, but he just snorts and laughs and clamps his opposite hand over his face instead, flailing at you to keep reading with the other.

You and he are definitely going to have a little heart-to-heart about Felix's own self-care strategies come the morning.

But for now you're just enjoying his utter joy and adoration as he flops into your lap, his hands apparently covering his face for all eternity as you reach some of the content that makes him so enchanted with these books after all.