Chapter Twenty-Two: Truth Hurts

Start from the beginning

♥︎

The group had talked until the early morning. Finally, Mr. and Mrs. (L/N) had parted ways with Joyce and Hopper, who rode off together in search of Terry Ives.
The (L/N)'s had a quiet ride home and restlessly entered their comfortable house. Although both are far from comfortable. Staying still and doing nothing in a situation like this is nearly impossible. Their daughter is in some dimension being hunted by a monster. How can they sit still and wait?
Mr. (L/N) had planned on getting some sleep, but watching his wife pace around the kitchen, he knows that sleep isn't on her agenda. So, Mr. (L/N) begins preparing her and himself some coffee.
"I just...I don't understand," (Y/N)'s mother says, rooting out her unanswered questions.
"Don't understand what?" (Y/N)'s father asks nonchalantly at the coffee machine.
"Remember...Hopper said (Y/N)...She didn't go straight home that night. She went with Will towards his house. Why? Why didn't she come right home?" Mrs. (L/N) asks, trying to, in her head, go over any reason why (Y/N) would do that. Mr. (L/N)'s heart jumps. "I mean...she could've wanted to stay over his house...but, she would have asked us first...She always asked us first," Mr. (L/N)'s anxiety spikes. He feels extremely guilty. And that's because he knows why his daughter didn't come home that night. It's his fault she's gone. He's the reason why she didn't ride right back to safety.
Mr. (L/N) takes a deep breath. He grabs the two coffee cups which he has filled with the dark, caffeinated liquid and clears his throat, "Let's sit down for a second," Mrs. (L/N) follows her husband to the kitchen table and sits down in a chair across from him, a bit concerned by the serious tone in his voice.
(Y/N)'s father has had a fair share of fights with his wife. Never has he tried to be as delicate as he has to be right now. He wants to make things better and to do that he has to be honest. Too bad the truth hurts.
Mr. (L/N) takes a long sip of the hot coffee, knowing that the burn isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as his wife's reaction to what he's about to say. "So, I...uh..." He really isn't sure how to go about saying this, but he knows that he just has to bite the bullet and say it, "I know why (Y/N) didn't come home that night," There's no going back now.
"What?" Mrs. (L/N) is confused, yet worried. What has he been hiding from her?

♥︎

Will and (Y/N) went back to Castle Byers defeated. It took a little navigating to find the way back because of the reckless searching they'd done. But, now they're back "safe". They are both worn down, but not quite tired because of the fact that they just slept for a whole day. Although they are sluggish due to the lack of oxygen and proper nutrients in their bodies. They haven't seen sunlight for a few unbearable days. Everything here is dark and deteriorating.
They sit silently on the goopy cushion, fears and regrets intruding their thoughts. A certain regret looms over (Y/N). Something she should have told Will a few nights ago in the comfort of Hawkins. "Will?" (Y/N) asks, gaining the attention of the disconnected boy to her left.
"Yeah?" He responds weakly, the state of both children is truly heartbreaking, they're falling apart.
The girl attempts to wet her chapped lips, so that speaking can be made easier, however this attempt fails because her tongue is dry as well, "I...remember that night, when we were riding home...remember you asked me why I didn't go straight home?" Will is now paying close attention. He knows this tone of voice. He knows his friend is about to say something serious.

♥︎

"Why? Why didn't she come home?" Mrs. (L/N) questions, severity lines her voice.
"You were out grocery shopping. It was early, maybe seven or eight in the morning...I was hungover...I'd actually also had some more to drink when I woke up...I had a hard day at work. I know that's not an excuse  but that's why I'd done it. I just...wasn't in the right state of mind."

♥︎

"I went downstairs...I was on my way to Mike's house for the campaign and my dad was on the couch. I think...I could tell he was drinking, umm...alcohol. He wasn't acting right and there were bottles next to him on the coffee table. I didn't know he did that kinda stuff," Will furrows his eyebrows. He barely ever saw (Y/N)'s father since he was always so busy, however, when he did see him, the man was very serious and distant. He couldn't imagine the nicely-dressed businessman as an unruly drunk.