Chapter 1: A trade agreement

You stare out of your balcony window, the air was crisp, filling up your lungs as you took a depth breath. People scurried below you in the courtyard, mostly servants, or maids, a few educational groups. Leaning over to the small table adjacent from where you sat, you grabbed your small cup of tea. Liking how the warm cup felt in your grasp, it provided you comfort when you felt anxious or alone. And today was one of those days.

Although you loved your planet, and the city you ruled over, there were still some downsides. Obtaining the throne at such a young age meant you had advisors, mostly old misogynist men. Whom critiqued your every step, always making you feel inferior.

Today, you had been called in for a distress meeting. Usually it entailed some issues with mining, or a few robberies without a suspect. Nothing major, but just sitting in the room with all five of them, looking at you, waiting for your response. Well, it made your teeth clench, stomach churn, and palms sweat.

"Hello? y/n?" You hear a familiar voice call out from inside your quarters.

Smiling you turn around setting your cup back on the table and standing up. There in the door way stood Zia, your must trustworthy, and longest friend. She was there from the start of all of this, and she never left your side. Zia waved and walked toward you extending her arms out, waiting for you to enter her embrace. You willingly wrap your arms around her and let out a sigh. You feel at peace, the warmth you felt when you held that tea cup returned to your body. Zia felt your stress, she always knew when you were upset.

"It's time." She looked up at you and frowned. "I know you hate being anywhere near them but..."

Her voice trailed off as she tried to read your expressions as you stood in front of her . If feeling butterflies in your stomach was positive, well, then you felt like you had a wasp nests inside you.

"They fear powerful women, that's why they tear you down."

Powerful? No, you weren't powerful. Zia was just saying that to make you feel better. Being a ruler does not equal power. And even if you did have some supreme power over people, it wouldn't change the anger you felt every time you stepped in to that board room. All of there smug faces, waiting for you to mess up, call the wrong shot.

And the thing is, that never happened. Every obstacle you or your people faced, you made the right decision and overcame it. Never have you failed. Which only irritated your advisors more.

"I know, I'm ready." You finally said looking back at Zia who sat on your bed.

She smiled back and nodded her head, waving good bye as she walked out the door. You heard her muffled voice yell out "Good luck!"

You spun around glancing in the large mirror across from you. The large green gown you were wearing was heavy, and a bit uncomfortable, but it made you look regal. The long train danced along the floor boards as you walked, looking like blades of grass in the wind. Taking one last look in the mirror you walked out of the door.

The hallway was buzzing with people, all whom stopped and waved at you as you passed by. Always portraying yourself as put together you smiled and waved, head held high. Finally you made it to the large glass doors, inside was a single granite table with six chairs placed around it.

All of them taken, except for one empty chair at the head of the table.

Taking in a deep breath you pushed open the glass doors, your advisors stood and bowed there heads in response to your presence. You slowly made your way to your chair and sat tall, looking at each man before you. It was as if they all witnessed a murder, they sat timid, hands in their laps, eyes darting from you to the floor.