Uncle Noritaka

Beginne am Anfang

Katsuki nodded, "Yeah. Just thinking..." He always felt so small when he went into nature. Well, at six-years-old he is considerably small, but this was a different feeling. Knowing the sky expanded forever, that trees could be older than his parents, and knowing that the world would continue no matter what happened. It was almost humbling, though he didn't know that word yet.

"You, thinking?" Taka chuckled, "Is the world ending?" Katsuki punched his side and Taka laughed his roaring belly laugh, "I'm kidding. It's good for you to think about things, it's easier out here though isn't it?"

"Yeah," Katsuki put his small pack on his back and followed Taka as he set off onto the well-worn trail they'd driven to.

The world passed as if in a blur. The shrubbery began to blend together and the sound of insects calling slowly faded into the background as the two walked in relative silence. They spoke about small things like how Katsuki's parents were, where Taka worked, if Katsuki was doing good in school, and Taka pointing out things like plants to teach Katsuki about if they were edible or poisonous.

"Are we there yet?" Katsuki yawned, the sun was beginning to set and his stomach needed sustenance. He didn't like hiking at night either because it was hard to see and a lot harder to tell where you're going.

Taka turned and smiled, "Yeah just gotta get over this hill and we'll be at the spot." Katsuki huffed but trekked on.

As promised when they overcame the hill there was a flat area perfect for pitching a tent. He set his bag down next to Taka's and stood up fully, his back burned as he stretched but it was the kind of burn that felt good.

"All good?" Taka asked as he pulled their tent from his bag. He handed Katsuki the tent poles after Katsuki nodded to the question. Katsuki picked them up and followed Taka around, sticking the poles wherever he was told, "You know." Taka began as he pulled the tent up so it stood, "Sometimes when I spend time with you I regret not having children."

"You'd make ugly kids," Katsuki retorted while taking their bags into the tent, "So I say there wasn't much to lose there."

"Hey!" Taka pinched Katsuki's side making him yell, "Just so you know we do share genetics! How would I make ugly kids if your father didn't?"

"Cuz you look like a squirrel's butt," Katsuki said while sticking his tongue out. Then he noticed Taka making the fire spot and jumped out of the tent, "Can I make it this time?" He asked.

Taka looked up at the sky and shook his head, "Maybe another time. We need to get this started since the sun's down so it's better if I just do it." Katsuki pouted but watched Taka use his spark quirk to set the sticks ablaze. Taka's quirk wasn't as potent as Katsuki's and they weren't explosions, just little sparklers like what kid's use on the Fourth of July to write words in the air.

Katsuki sat next to the fire and crossed his legs, staring into the flames, "Why do we need fire right now anyway?" He asked.

"For food and warmth," Taka told him. He pulled a package of hot dogs out of the tent and opened it, finding two sticks to secure them to, "Here's yours." He said while handing Katsuki one.

Katsuki held his hot dog over the campfire while listening to Taka humming, "Why did you start coming out here?" Katsuki asked.

Taka paused and thought for a moment, "Well I guess I was just tired of the same thing all the time." He said, "The same places, the same foods, and the convenience of having my every want available to be fulfilled with a phone call or a credit card transaction. I wanted to do things for me, do things I had to do to survive, it felt fulfilling to gather my own food and make my own fire than to just buy it." He looked at Katsuki and smiled, "Wonder if any of that made sense to you."