Chapter 35:

Chapter 35:

When I wake up its around five. I decide on making something easy for dinner, like noodles, but when I go to the pantry I see it's pretty empty. I can't believe I didn't notice it earlier when I got my cheese buns. I really don't feel like going out but my stomach thinks other wise, as it begins to growl loudly.

I put on my coat, scarf and gloves and head out into the frigid air. It's late November so as soon as I open the door, I'm met with a gust of wind that chills me to the bone. I walk across the lawn to Haymitch's and bang on his door loudly. After waiting for a few minutes I can't stand the cold and walk right in.

"Haymitch!" I yell walking through his house.

"In here sweetheart!" He calls back lazily.

I walk in and see him sitting at the table with a flask in his hand.

"I'm going to the market to get a few things, need anything?" I say.

He looks at me intently. "Why?"

"Why what?" I say confused.

"Why would you ask me?" There's no doubt he's drunk beyond belief.

"Because you're house is literally 20 steps away from mine and I thought I'd be a nice neighbor." I say sharply.

"Okay, okay. I don't need anything, but thanks for the offer." He says.

"Whatever." I say walking out, back into the freezing air.

I know this walk is going to be torturous, as the market is in the center of town, one of the furthest places from Victor's Village. Since it's the beginning for winter, it's already dark out and the only light, is the light given off by street lamps. When I'm about 5 minutes away from the market it begins to snow. It's a fairly light snow, but I can tell since it's already snowing in November, this is going to be a long winter.

When I get in the store the heat starts returning my cheeks, making them tingle. I grab a basket and go collect the few things I'm going to need for the next few days. I shop around and get a few shocked glances here and there. I guess it makes sense since I don't go into town too much. When I'm done I make my way to the check out.

I greet the young woman at the cash register. She looks only a few years older than me. "Hi." She says looking at me in awe. "Hello." I say smiling back.
She starts ringing up my items and bagging them.

"That'll be $27.63." She says typing something in the computer.

I reach into my pocket and pull out the money. As I'm handing it to her she notices my wedding ring. She seems kind of shocked, almost as I she doesn't believe it. She must not have believed that Peeta and I were really in love, thinking I've married someone else. I make I contact with her and she looks away quickly, getting my change. As I'm taking my bags and putting my gloves back on, I look at her and say, "By the way, Peeta and I are married. Have a nice night." She smiles slightly and says "You too."

I almost laugh to myself once I leave the store. It wasn't any of her business, but I feel like I owed it to her, she seems genuinely curious. It's still snowing lightly, but by the time I get home, my hair is covered with snow that is slowly melting and dripping down my face.

I see the clock on the stove says 7:23. I can't believe it took me that long! I start the noodles and begin on the store bought tomato sauce. Once it's done I sit and eat a quiet dinner by myself. I put my plate in the sink to wash later and head to my room, terrified of what I will see in my dreams tonight.

Hello! Happy New Year! 🎉 Sorry this chapter was so boring, I needed a transition chapter. I've been getting tons of votes lately so thank you so much! The next chapter won't be that exiting either, I have an idea that I think will be good. 😁 Please continue to vote and comment! 😄👍Thanks again, ❤️ Mel