The Keys

"I was curious, so I looked. Doctor, why haven't you changed your hiding places?" Clara asked, dangling a key in front of The Doctor's face. He kept his eyes fixed on his book, reclined in a chair Clara didn't question the appearance of in the console room. He had a bad habit of spending most of his time in here, at least he was doing it comfortably.
     "If I had you'd of found them in a day. At most. Plus," he said, eyes flickering to meet hers meaningfully. "I know you won't ever try something like last time again. You wouldn't of looked if you didn't hope to find them, Clara. It may make me a very big fool but I trust you. Don't worry." he smiled briefly and his eyes flickered back to his page. 
     "You're the best friend I've ever had, and more than I deserve." Clara smiled, reaching forward to tuck the key into his breast pocket. He meant to speak up and tell her they'd been through this already but she went on before he could. "Guess that's why I love you so much." She walked off, then, realizing what she said a few steps out of the room and down a corridor on her way to the library. 
        Once she was out of sight The Doctor took a long breath, reacting more calmly at first and then, after questioning his calmness, became very not calm as he realized his almost calmness came from having experience with that word from her now. He tried to blow it off and refocus on the book.
        She only meant it as a friend. Keep reading.