Chapter 1: Childhood Friends

"Zhan-ge! Zhan ge!"

Here we go again. I mentally rolled my eyes. If I know, this kid is good at everything. He is always top in his class, why does he even come to me for help?

I furrowed my brows at him, "What is it again? and stop calling me Zhan-ge here in school. I'm one of your professors." I whined.

He pouted at me, "Why are you always like that Zhan-ge? Don't you want to help me? If not, then never mind if my grades will rank down." He lowered his head as if threatening me that if I don't help him, he'll fail.

I rolled my eyes and clicked my tongue, I surrender. What can I even do with this kid? He's always like that, threatening me then here I am surrendering.

"Okay, okay. What is it?" I said and my arms on my chest.

His mood immediately changed and smiled so wide at me. Those smiles, for a moment my heart skipped a beat, I don't know why, but lately, I've been having a strange feeling inside me whenever he is around. We've been friends since he was six and I'm twelve. Their house is just beside our house, so you can say that we become close because of that, though our age difference is far from each other we still got along well. His mother would always put him in my care when she goes on business trips. He was just a cute weeping little boy back then, I watched him grow and now I can't believe he'd grow to a manly and sturdy man, now that he is in college. My cheeks burned, I hope he won't notice it. I tried calming myself.

I took a deep breath and he handed me the book. I rolled my eyes at him and look into the book he handed me. My eyes went wide when I saw what he is asking me for help. Is he making fun of me? I've been teaching him this standard deviation for almost a week, hasn't he got this already?

"Didi, this is what you've been asking me for help for almost a week now. Didn't you already get it?" I facepalmed.

He pouted at me again, "But I haven't got anything in my head, Zhan ge" he whined.

"Please help meee, pleaseeee" He said and looked at me with his puppy eyes.

I sighed, there's nothing I can do about this cuteness. I can't ignore this cuteness. God help me, I'm about to lose again.

"Pleaseee" He pleaded with his cute tone. Okay, I surrender. I patted his head, he looked like a wolf that has been tamed. I can see an imaginary tale on his back. So cute.

I chuckled, "okay fine, you can go to my house tonight so I can help you." I said and closed the book and handed it to him.

He nodded like a kid and smiled and was about to turn when I spoke.He nodded like a kid and smiled and was about to turn when I spoke. "Tell auntie you will go to our house, don't just go without saying anything to her. You know how worried they will be." I reminded him.

He pouted, "It's not like I'm going anywhere. And it's your house, they already know that when I'm not at home I always crash at yours." he whined.

"Hey, brat! Still, tell your mother you came to our house. Stop making her worry." I scolded him and gave him a smack on his head.

He pouted and caress his head where I hit him. Now I felt guilty after hitting him.

"Yeah yeah!" he turned around and put both his hands in his pocket. "See you tonight, Zhan ge." he waved goodbye.

I just sighed. I take back what I said, he's already in college but he never changed at all. I smiled at the thought, at least he's still cute as ever.

I held on to my laptop and walked to the teacher's lounge. I better be putting these booklets on my desk before my next class starts.

----

Class ended, Yibo must be waiting for me at home already. Well, they just live next to us. I immediately held my bag and went home, he gets all sulky when he waits for too long.

Finally, I arrived at the front of the gate, I held on to my knees and catch my breath. That was tiring.

As I open the gate, I saw him sitting in front of the door, focused on his phone.

"Didi! Why didn't you ring the bell, mom was inside you know." I said as I walked to the front door and opened it.

"I want to go inside with you, of course." he giggled. I looked at him, here it goes again. My heart keeps beating so fast and my stomach is acting up. I'm just tired, that's why. I rolled my eyes at him. He didn't notice me rolling my eyes and he just welcomed himself inside.

"Auntie, Zhan ge will be tutoring me so I'll be going in his room." He runs off without waiting for me as he shouts from upstairs.

"Okay, be careful and don't run at the stairs." Mom shouted from the kitchen. Yibo considers this his second home. I set aside my shoe and went to the kitchen to kiss mom on her cheeks.

"Oh you're here, I thought you will come home later than Yibo." She said as she focuses on slicing ingredients for dinner.

"He waited for me outside the house," I said and sat across her.

"Oh, I didn't know he was there." She said and looked at me.

"Nah, It's fine. I said he should have knocked but he said he wants to wait for me." I shrugged and stood up.

"By the way, mom I'll be going upstairs. Yibo asked for help in his math subject." I sighed and grabbed my bag of laptop.

"Isn't he a top in his class?" She stopped what she is doing and looked at me again.

I shrugged and turned my back at her. "He kept nagging, can't say no to him," I said and walked to my room.

"You're too welcome in my room, ay?" I asked as I enter my room, seeing him lying on his chest as he focused on his phone.

I took a peek at what he is doing and he is watching a motorbike race from the university competition last year.

"You're always watching that," I said and bent over to watch with him.

"Hm." He agreed and continued watching.

"Why don't you try joining? The school recruits racers, you know." I asked and sat beside him as I removed my coat.

"Do you really think I can do something like this?" He looked at me and tilted his head.

"You're good at everything didi, and you always practice motorbiking, where will you use that skill of yours if you will not join? since you were a kid, you really loved motorbike racing and I know you can do it." I ruffled his hair that made him glare at me. "Stop it! you're ruining my hair." He whined and fixed his hair.

I laughed at him and shook my head, "You should think about it. I'll just take a quick shower then we can start studying." I said and stood up, I grabbed my towel and went on the shower.