Chapter Thirty Five

Start from the beginning

E.S.T.

Elizabeth put the letter down and smiled. Henry and Regulus were safe. She didn't have to worry about them anymore. James came up from behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. 

"Good news?" He asked. Elizabeth nodded. 

"Regulus is going to Beaxbatons with my siblings this year." 

"So you don't have to work on his case anymore?" James asked, kissing her neck softly. Elizabeth smiled and leaned into him. 

"I think I can put it off for a bit, why? Do you have plans for us?" 

"In fact, I do. Dinner tonight. I'm taking you out. Wear something nice." 

"You're not going to tell me where we're going?" Elizabeth asked. James shook his head. 

"Nope. It's a surprise."

"Great. How long do I have to get ready?" 

"A while. But, I wanted to talk to you about something first. It's really important to me that you know. See, there's something about the Marauders that I kind of kept from you." 

"What, did you break a wizarding law or something?" Elizabeth asked jokingly. James met her with a nervous smile. 

"You did what?

"Well, it's not really a big one," He started. 

"They're all big ones, James." Elizabeth said exasperatedly. 

"Let me start from the beginning." He said. Elizabeth sat back down on the couch. 

"So ut all started when we found out that Remus is a werewolf." James said, clearly nervous of Elizabeth's reaction. She nodded. 

"That makes sense. Please get to the part where you became criminals." 

"Right. So, Pete, Sirius, and I wanted to help him out, because he kept hurting himself when he was transforming. So we found out that werewolf bites don't affect animals. So really, the best option we could think of was- well, you have to keep in mind that we were only second-years- so we decided to..." He trailed off, staring into Elizabeth's cold gaze. 

"From what you've told me, it sounds like you became illegal animagi. But you wouldn't have made such a rash decision that affected your future like that, would you?" Elizabeth asked slowly. James let out an uncomfortable laugh. 

"Funny thing about that. So we actually did become animagi. I'm a stag, Sirius is a dog, and Peter is a rat." 

Elizabeth didn't know whether to laugh or to beat James up. 

"Now don't be upset with Remus." James started. Elizabeth cut him off. 

"I'm not upset with Remus. In fact, I don't think I can be upset right now. I'd rather just pretend my boyfriend is not a possible fugitive." 

"I can work with that." James said. "And the dinner reservations are at seven." 

"Wonderful." Elizabeth said, standing up and kissing James quickly. 

"So you're not mad?" He asked carefully. 

"I'm a little mad, but I think I can be over it by seven. I'll keep you updated."

~~~~~~~~

"So, is there any reason you've brought me to Paris? Did I forget an anniversary or something?" Elizabeth asked as they walked the streets of France. James shook his head. 

"Nope, you didn't forget an anniversary. I just wanted to do something nice. And to ask you a question." 

"Oh?" Elizabeth asked, looking over at him. He nodded, and Elizabeth could see sweat building on his neck. He stuck his hands in his pockets. 

"Well first, I just wanted to check and make sure you aren't mad at me." He said hesitantly. Elizabeth laughed.

"I forgive you for being a stupid twelve year old, don't worry. Now, what did you want to ask me?"

I just wanted to ask you to marry me." He said, stopping in his tracks. Elizabeth turned around quickly, to find James on one knee, holding out a ring box. 

"Elizabeth Thompson, I love you more than I ever thought I could love someone. I want to spend the rest of eternity with you. Will you please marry me?" 

Elizabeth's hands flew up to her mouth. She nodded, unable to speak for a second. 

"Since you said please." She managed, a smile coming to her face. James grinned and slipped the ring on her finger. Elizabeth grabbed his face and pulled him down to her, kissing him intensely. 

When they pulled away, she smiled at him. 

"I love you, James Potter." 

"I love you too, Elizabeth Thompson."