Chapter Eight

Halloween

Elizabeth sighed. Lily was trying to get her to wear an angel costume while she wore a devil one. The Marauders were throwing a Halloween party, and Lily was determined to have cute matching costumes.

"Why am I the angel?"

"Because I have red hair. I already get all of the ginger jokes, might as well just go with it."

"I guess. Are you sure we can't just do something a little less...showy?" She held up the costume. It wasn't super skimpy, but it was more revealing than what Elizabeth was used to wearing. Lily shrugged.

"I mean we could, but what's the fun in that?"

Elizabeth gave in. Lily was so flamboyant and fun that it was hard not to just agree to what she said. And Elizabeth knew she wouldn't ever ask her to do anything bad. She trusted Lily's judgement.

"Alright. How are we going to do our makeup?" She asked. Lily grinned.

"I have mine all planned out. I was thinking for you we just did a lot of gold and highlighter. Make you look all glowy and cute." She added.

"Okay, I can do that. What are you planning for yours?"

"Just some black eyeshadow and red lipstick. It's definitely going to be a statement."

Elizabeth nodded.

"I'm sure it will be."

Lily smiled.

"First, let's get you ready!" She ssid happily, pushing Elizabeth into the bathroom to get changed.

~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth sighed and crossed her arms. Her dress was a little low cut for her liking, but she couldn't deny how well it fit her. She felt pretty, something that didn't happen too often. She mainly blamed society's misogyny for her low self esteem, insisting that the fact that girls felt the need to look pretty all the time was exactly why she didn't feel pretty very often. Not to mention the racism. She rarely saw a girl that looked like her that was put up on a pedestal and considered naturally beautiful.

But tonight, Elizabeth felt pretty. She wasn't sure why she felt so pretty, but something about the way her dress flowed around her made her feel beautiful.

Lily had sent Elizabeth downstairs to hang out with the other Gryffindors until she was finished getting ready, seeing as she was taking much linger than Elizabeth had. Now, Elizabeth was sitting in the Gryffindor common room next to her sister, waiting for Lily to finish.

"You look nice." She heard a voice from behind her say. She turned to see James behind her, dressed as a deer.

"Thanks. Is there any specific reason you're dressed like a deer?"

"Oh, it's an inside joke with Sirius, Remus, Peter, and I." He said, running his hands through his hair. Elizabeth had noticed he did that a lot.

"You seem to have a lot of those. Lily had the idea of us being an angel and a devil and just couldn't let it go." She said lightly. James chuckled.

"Well, you look great." He smiled. Elizabeth couldn't help but smile back.

"Thanks."

He nodded and turned back to his friends. Elizabeth sat back down next to Anne, who snickered.

"That was the most awkward thing. It's so obvious you two fancy each other." She said. Elizabeth scowled.

"Well I'm pretty sure the whole school has access to that information at this point."

"Right. Well, you should do something about it! It's your last year anyway. What's the worst that could happen?"

Elizabeth shook her head.

"I'm not doing anything about it, and you know why."

Anne nodded.

"But if he changed, would you go on a date with him?" She asked.

"I doubt he'll change anything, but I suppose I would."

Anne nodded, looking over Elizabeth's shoulder.

"Look! That's Henry and his friends!"

Elizabeth turned around and stared. Though she would normally be mad that Henry was at a party, she was mainly shocked that Slytherins had been invited to a Marauders party. The Slytherins looked equally as shocked to be there.

"What are they doing here?" She asked. Anne shrugged, smiling smugly.

"I guess the Marauders invited them.

Elizabeth watched, shocked, as James greeted the incoming Slytherins warmly. She turned to Anne, who was smirking.

"Did you know about this?"

Anne shrugged.

"I might have. But I will tell you, James was the one that invited them. Sirius and Peter didn't want to. And, James has been talking to the Slytherins more. He's made some friends. I really think he's changed."

Elizabeth stared at James again. Lily came over and sat down next to them. She followed Elizabeth's gaze and nodded.

"It's crazy, I know. I really think you've changed him, Lizzie." She used Elizabeth's nickname, making her cringe.

"I am not Elizabeth Bennett, and James did not change his kind because of me." She insisted. Lily smirked.

"He most certainly did. What other motivation was there?"

"Maybe just his conscience? Besides, he couldn't have changed because of me. He doesn't even know why I turned him down. The only people I told were my siblings..." She trailed off, looking at Anne, who had a guilty smile. "You told him?"

"Edmond and Henry agreed with me that he deserved a chance. And he obviously likes some of the Slytherins, he's not just putting up a front for you."

Elizabeth scoffed.

"I can't believe you. I leave you alone for one minute, and you go and try to sabotage my love life."

"I think you're being dramatic. I mean, look at the positive impact it had. You've changed the Marauders for good. I thought no one would be able to do that." Lily said. Elizabeth sighed. "Besides, I know you think he's a lot cuter now that he's being nice to Slytherins." She teased. Elizabeth shoved her.