Bubble Tea

Callie woke up that morning feeling nauseous. It was Sunday and she had the day off work. She decided to try and meet up with Vanessa to talk to her about the interview. 

They met at 11:00am at a bubble tea shop at the Eaton centre. Vanessa greeted Cal with a big hug. 

"How was the show yesterday?" Callie asked Van.

"It was boring and the same." Vanessa seemed to want to rush past the small talk. "Jason's top button broke off but it was fine because it was unbuttoned to begin with. TELL ME ABOUT YOU!

"Oh dear, did the button come off on stage or during the second change?" Callie, ignored her urgency. She was nervous to tell Vanessa about Declan's suggestion.

"Off stage. Don't ignore my question."

Callie sighed. She couldn't avoid it. "It was amazing. It's going to be released tomorrow, I think. But it was easier than I thought it would be and we had a lot of great laughs."

"That's great!! What... was he like? Was he nice?"

"He was really nice. He asked me about school and I showed him pictures of my work. He complimented my dress, you know the floral one with the sparkles?" 

"Ooh! Love that one! That sounds amazing."

"Yeah, he was really interested in all of my work and it was really overwhelming. Super exciting and I barely slept I was so excited."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah... uhh... he also kind of... offered me a job?" Callie shyly told Vanessa. 

"He did WHAT??" Vanessa freaked. 

"Van! Please don't freak out!! I don't know what to do!! He asked me to style him on the road and for interviews and stuff. I didn't know what to say or do. I'm so tired because I was up all night stressed."

"Well what did you tell him?"

"I asked him when I had to give him an answer and he said I could text his manager. I told him I'd have to think about it."

"Well you have to do it! That sounds amazing."

"But like... it's not really my training. And the job at the theatre is amazing and I might not ever get a chance to do Broadway ever again."

"Callie, you might never and probably will never get the change to style a professional musician ever again. It's new and fun and you'd be great at it! You styled Jordan for every interview or meeting he's ever had. You know how to style people."

"But it's not just that. I think I'd be good at it, although it would take some time to get used to. But I also have to get used to travelling everywhere and my hours would change drastically. And of course I didn't ask him what he'd be paying me. He probably doesn't even know what to pay me and I certainly don't know what to ask for! This is all so drastically new and stressful." Callie was upset, and getting louder. She stopped herself and took a drink. 

Vanessa was thinking, looking at her best friend. Then she finally spoke, very carefully. "Listen, Cal. Do you want to do it?"

Callie hesitated. Then sighed. "Of course I want to."

"Then you'll figure all that stuff out."

Callie didn't know what to say, so she sat there for a second. Then she had an idea. "Maybe, I could just go on the Canadian tour with him. If I remember his tour schedule correctly, he's going to a few more places on the west coast. I could try it for a few shows. See what it's like, see if I like it. Then I could decide if I actually want to do it." 

"That could work. Do you think he'd let you?" Vanessa nodded. 

"Maybe. Do you think Mr. Coffure would allow me to take the time off?"

"I'll make him let you. I'll cover you."

"Oh Van, you don't have to do that."

"But I will." 

Callie smiled and then her eyes widened. She realized what had just happened. "Oh my god." 

"What?" Vanessa asked.

"I might actually be going on tour with Declan McKenna!" 

Vanessa smiled. "Yes!! And you're going to love it." 

And with that remark, Callie looked up to see Declan's band. Isabel Torres, Nathan Cox, William Bishop, and Gabrielle Marie King. She gaped at them. They were ordering bubble tea. She quickly looked at the group, not realizing who she was looking for, but saw no Declan in sight. 

Vanessa was looking too. "Who are you looking at?"

"That's Declan's band." She said. "I wonder what they're doing here."

"Probably enjoying the wonders of the Eaton Centre. I guess it's their day off." Vanessa didn't seem interested and turned back to her bubble tea.

Nervousness boiled in Callie's stomach. She knows that Declan must be close to his band. What would they think of her? Do they know about her already? She quickly looked down and, before her nervousness got to her, texted the number she was given about her decision. She glanced up as the group walked away with their tea and then quickly ducked her head back down as she noticed Isabel glancing her way.