Radio Contest

"Interview DECLAN MCKENNA next Saturday before his Toronto show. Just submit your idea for an interview on our website to have a chance to interview DECLAN MCKENNA before his Toronto show..." Callie listened to Brody Bryan give his usual daily reminder about the contest ending soon. She had entered the second she got home that Monday from the theatre, after hearing Brody give his speech on the radio. Now, two weeks had passed and the winner of the contest would be announced that Friday, which was only three days away. 

Callie had rarely ever listened to that radio station. Well... she hardly ever listened to radio at all. But that Monday night her phone died and she couldn't listen to her usual music... so she flipped through radio stations while navigating slow Toronto traffic. When she came across the alternative rock station playing Mr. McKenna's new song Beautiful Faces. Excited to hear her favourite artist, she tuned in and later heard the advertisement and rushed back to her apartment to enter the contest online. 

On that particular Tuesday, the show she was working on had an early matinee so she was up and going at 8:00am. As she pulled up to the theatre, Beautiful Faces began playing on the radio again. It pained her to leave but she had important business to attend to before starting work: she had to request next Saturday off.

"Morning Ms. Ambrose."

"Good morning, Mr. Coffure." Callie said to her boss, Peter Coffure. The whitest and most stereotypical theatre director in Toronto. He has the kindest heart, except for when he's on stage. He hired a newbie like Callie to do costumes in quote unquote "Broadway" theatre (I mean, it is Broadway. Just not New York Broadway). He was impressed with her talent and brought her aboard and she was just happy to have an incredible job, no matter how director-y he might be. 

"How you doing this morning, Mr. Coffure?" 

"I'm doing quite well. Bright and early and ready for another day of fantastical art!" He said with too much enthusiasm for 8:00am. "How can I help you this morning, Ms. Ambrose?"

"I would like to request a day off. Next Saturday, to be exact."

"Well... Callie. That's our weekend Matinee. There's bound to be many people here! I heard Mr. DiCaprio would be attending." He gave her a sly grin.

"You say that every week, sir." (It's true, he does say that every week)

"And hopefully it may come true! Now, Ms. Ambrose. What are you needing to do on that day?"

"Well... I entered this contest to possibly interview this artist coming into town. And I just wanted to give you advance notice that I might need that day off."

He raised an eyebrow. "But you don't need that day off for sure?" 

"Well no, it's hard to know. They're announcing the winner of the contest Friday."

"Well as of now you will still work Saturday. But let me know if you win that contest and you can have that day off. Does that sound okay?"

"Yes, Mr. Coffure, that sounds perfect. Thank you very much sir." Callie smiled.

"You are welcome dear. Now get your ass to the costume department, we have a show to put on!"

Callie scurried away to the costume department where she met her friend, Vanessa (or Van, every once in a while). They usually do a catch up and doing the morning steam and press of the costumes. 

"Hey girlie, what's got you so happy?" Van elbowed her best friend.

"Nothing, just excited to put on a show!" Callie mocked Mr. Coffure and Vanessa laughed. 

"No seriously, how's it going?" 

"It's going good. I just asked for next Saturday off." Of course Callie told Vanessa about the contest. Vanessa was super excited for her. 

"And?"

"And I can get it off if I win."

"That sounds great!" Vanessa exclaimed. 

"Yeah! It's pretty cool. What's up with you?"

"Nothing much. Jordan is coming in to see the show." Jordan is Vanessa's long term (six years) boyfriend who lives a little outside downtown Toronto (which is like another city itself). 

"But hasn't he seen the show already?"

"Yes. And he's seeing it again. A sixth time to be exact."

"Dedicated boyfriend."

"I know. I gave him my complimentary tickets the first two times but he keeps coming back and paying all that money."

"Well, he's got a good job. Someone's gotta design all of Toronto's unnecessary buildings."

"Yeah. How's it going with your parents?" 

"I think they're good. Well as good as you can get, considering the terms." Callie's parents are getting a divorce. "I hope that I can get home at some point to see them. I feel really bad for my mom."

"Yeah, it's tough. But she'll make it through. I promise." 

Suddenly, a booming voice appeared. "Alright guys, show time! Well almost. Rehearsal time!" Mr. Coffure would very often go up and down the halls shouting "show time" as a way to call cast and crew to the stage. Though it was an everyday occurrence, it always made Van and Cal laugh.