Testing the Waters

Zacznij od początku

I bowed to President Hyun and greeted both.

"Good evening, Mr. President, Mr. Hyun. I was just from a few minutes ago."

"Do you need something, Miss Son?"

"Oh, I'm just looking for Mr. Hyun."

"Well, I'm going back to my place. He's all yours now."

I bowed to him and he left the room.

"Do you need something from me, Miss Son?"

"I just want to know your plan for tonight, Sir. Your new couch has arrived and I assumed that you will spend the night here, won't you?"

"I will. I haven't finished yet, here."

"I don't know you're into the stock market, Mr. Hyun."

"Then how my family has got the money for living, Miss Son? The presidential campaign required a lot of money. I've been helping my Dad to fund his campaign how I know best. He is a man of many parts, but he is not a corruptor. I guess the public only interested in how lousy I am, not the good side of me. I'm not a perfect guy, I'm not good at many things, far from how you and your team build my image all this time, but actually, I'm pretty good at this, if you were interested to know."

"Stock market? I don't know you're into this, Sir. I thought it's only President Hyun."

"Yep. The bad news is good news for the public. Who wants to read a headline of a President's son's achievement? President's son gets drunk and going crazy will gain more readers."

"But with your access of information...wouldn't trading stocks will be categorized as cheating?"

"We used to trade with local stocks, but since Dad has become a president, to avoid those accusations, we placed the investment overseas. I'm more active in NASDAQ and Nikkei."

"You went to American schools?"

"Nope. I'm an LBS alumni."

"Oh, I didn't know that."

"Didn't you read my file?"

"I did, but I was focused on your....prominent cases."

"See? Even my fiance wasn't interested in what I was good at other than parties. I hope we can get to know each other better in this process, Miss Son, might be good for your team when you know us better, me and my parents."

"That would be nice."

"So this is what I do for a living. I don't always make the right choice, though. Stocks aren't a lottery ticket." He pointed on the screens.

I stood in front of the screens., leaning my hands and hips on the desk. He stood beside me and his eyes were telling me that he was excited about this topic. I took that chance to build a more civil conversation with him.

"Why don't you take advice from stock market experts before making a deal?"

"If they were so experts, they would be buying stocks, not selling advice," he chuckled.

"I see, then how you do it? To make the most of it, I mean. You must have gained a lot from this."

"Luckily, I have. Being a president's son doesn't leave me with too many job options, everything will be connected to my Dad. To make the most of it, one key. Patience." He poured two glasses of wine and gave me one.

"Patience? That's so not you, Sir. I know you have a bad temper."

"Yes, when it relates to someone I care, but not in this thing. The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient."