There had been quite a bit of dancing. Alice had had two glasses of wine by the time the band started, and she and Nix took the floor. They stayed away from the swing, as felt a bit too tired to have a go at that, but when Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade started, she'd let him drag into the fray.

"I feel like I owe you a dance," he said. 

Alice put her hands around his neck. "Oh? Why's that?"

As they moved to the tune, surrounded by other couples, he just smirked. "Well, you gave me our first dance off a New Year's promise. Just feels right I return the favor in the first year after the war."

Alice couldn't help but laugh. She shook her head, blushing. The fact that he remembered that dance as much as she often thought about it made her ecstatic. "Well. I'm happy to oblige." As the music kept going and they just enjoyed each other's company, she started thinking about that day. "I think I knew I was falling for you back then, you know."

Nix started snickering. Only when she smacked his arm did he stop. "Well, I'm glad I cashed in on that dance then. I was able to drive you crazy, I'm sure. Handsome, well educated First Lieutenant-"

"Arrogant, somewhat presumptuous, nosey-"

"Yale graduate with money!"

Alice laughed again and shook her head. As she looked at him, his eyes the same color as Marc's, for a moment she liked to think that her family would be blessing this future marriage. Her brothers probably would've given Nix a good verbal thrashing. She supposed it was better they never met, and giggled at the thought.

"What?"

"I was just thinking how Marc and Robert especially would have a field day making your life hell."

"Ah yes, Marc and Robert." 

Alice loved the way he pronounced Robert perfectly, the french way, the right way. It made her smile every time. "Yeah, Marc and Robert, they'd kick your ass."

Nixon started laughing and shook his head. "I wish they could."

Her expression fell a bit. He was right of course. They both wished that. She wished Bernadette could've helped her with her hair, and her mother could've fussed over the minute details of her dress. She wished her father could've held her and hugged her, said how proud he was. 

Maybe that was another reason to elope.

Nix rested his head on hers for a moment, and Alice tried to forget the pain. She had to forget the flashes of fear and anger and disgust that flooded her body every time she thought about Bernadette. Hatred towards the Nazis took over, and then she couldn't make sense of things. Better to just force it away.

When they'd danced to a few songs, they retook their seats. Alice stayed quiet, too busy with her own thoughts to notice much at the table around her. She did, however, notice that Nix took time to engage Blanche in conversation. That made her feel a bit better, that he could see how uncomfortable his sister felt. 

Then the cake came, and they all enjoyed the merriment again. It was a fabulous cake. Alice couldn't remember having something so lavish in ages. Certainly not since long before the war, when rationing had started. It made her mouth water with every bite. 

And then the reception ended. Harry and Kitty bid them all goodbye, heading off to their honeymoon. Alice didn't know where to, but she knew they'd be gone for a week or so. Probably the mountains, she guessed. She'd heard Harry talk about this one little spot he'd enjoyed as a kid. In a blink of an eye, they'd left.

Alice stood watching them get in their car, 'Just Married' written on a sign stuck on the back. She didn't know where Nix had gone, nor Ron, nor Lip or Buck. Dick moved to her other side though.