From our position, the first thing we did was examine the two mud baths. In-between the baths there was a smoky part of the wall and with a collection tool I processed it.

-Laura, check this out –Sara pointed at both baths- One mud bath contains a lot more mud than the other.

-That mud is baked solid, but I don't know the way to examine it, inside and out, without actually breaking it up and compromising potential evidence.

-You know, the other day, Grissom was telling me that we have access to an industrial ultrasound device –Sara nodded- It sounds perfect for this problem, I'll give him a call.

Meanwhile Sara made the call, I continued examining the scene. I photographed a rock with a hole in the middle and used the casting. I walked into the kitchen and I found a burnt muffin inside the microwave, if it was on last night, we could have our ignition source. I took a sample from the ceiling because it looked old and it could have asbestos in it and then I took samples of soot from the walls. Finally, I found crimping along the edges of the split gas line; I'd say it was cut. So far, there were signs of arson. Sara went to the lab to grab the ultrasound device and when she came back, Brass was with her.

-Now, we're living in the future.. –Brass spoke while we installed the device- I'm still waiting for my flying car, but seeing through walls isn't too shabby. How does it work?

-We turn it on and point the wand at whatever we want to scan –I grabbed the wand and held it above the mud- The sound waves it emits penetrate at different speeds depending on the density of the material. Then, the onboard computer translates that into a picture.

Brass got a call, so he had to be absent, but I started to run the wand across the surface until Sara told me to stop. Then, she turned the onboard computer screen and looked at me with a serious face.

-Does that look like a human body to you?

-It looks like we have a victim after all –I nodded in agreement- I'll call Doc Robbins for a pickup.

-Just what we needed.. –Brass let out an exhausted exhalation- Seems your case may be crossing into the FBI jurisdiction. Two agents are already waiting for us in my office.

***

Sara handled checking in the evidence we found and taking it to each department for analysis. On the other hand, Brass and I returned to his office to speak with the FBI agents. We were walking down the hall on our way to his office, when Brass stopped me.

-You've been biting your nails all the way back –he said directly but kindly- Laura, you need to calm down.

-I know, I know –I breathed out- It's just that this is the first case I'm in charge of and I didn't think that I'd have to deal with the FBI.

-Then just ask Grissom or Sara what to do, but if it means something, I think you can pull this off –I raised my head thanks to Brass's pretty words and smiled at him- You know your stuff and you are ready, just be confident. ¡Oh, and don't look them straight in the eye!

He said that last sentence to make me laugh and relax before entering the room. He entered first and I followed him inside. Both agents were standing, observing Jim's various decorations hanging on the wall. The first agent I saw was in his 50s, with white hair and gray eyes. He wore a black suit with a tie and matching shoes.

 He wore a black suit with a tie and matching shoes