Ch.1 Pills and Joy

Start from the beginning

A chill went down his spine,"A pill a day keeps the downers away....", He muttered to himself. He popped the sweet tasting pill into his mouth, quickly swallowing. Puff never did like taking pills. When the city first introduced joy pills, puff had such a hard time taking them. He didn't like the feeling of swallowing a pill, much less sour pills. Thankfully, as the pill developed, a sweet coating went over it to hide it's sour taste.

He reached for the seeds, opened the window and poured it into a bird feeder. Puff loved nothing more than watching the birds tweet and feed by his window. It was a nice way to start off the day...

By the time Puff filled the feeder and closed up the window, he could feel the pills kicking in. It made him feel more energized. More ready to take on his work.

He smiled brightly, opening his closet and taking out some clothes. Thankfully, today was an easy day. He just has to write a few articles, censor the ones that would upset the public, and edit a few papers. Today he can dress casually.

A white peacoat, white sweater, black pants and for comfort, black converse shoes.

He whistled a tune as he went downstairs. He wanted to be sure he got to work early. Plopping some bread in the toaster, he waited. Outside looked lovely. Sun peeked out behind white fluffy clouds.

"Today can't possibly go wrong. It looks too nice.", He glanced over at the refrigerator, sighing. A photo of himself, classic, and their dad. Classic used to live with Puff. Up until he started acting weird. Then suddenly....Classic left. Only leaving a note behind.

Puff looked at the refrigerator again, the note was hidden under the photo. He read the note over, he's read it so many times but... felt upset every time. He couldn't understand why Classic left suddenly.

The note reads

Pap, I left to another district, up the street. This place became too much for me. I promise I'll be seeing you again. Just for now I need to focus on something important.

That's all. Puff has received a few notes from Classic but there was never a return address.

A whimper came from him," Why? Why did you think about leaving? You never talk to me when something stresses you out. You always kept it to yourself. You just-", he jumped as the toaster popped off.

He felt sick, he had conflicting feelings. He felt upset, worried and happiness conflicting with each other.

He leaned against the counter, trying to calm down,"I'm ok. I'm ok. You can't go out like this...", He exhaled. Soon enough his happy attitude returned.

"Note to self...make sure you get stronger pills, I can't have that happen again. ", He quickly walked by the toaster, snatching up the toast and walking out. He had no time to sit and eat. Besides, he'll finish his breakfast by the time he gets to work.

Out the door and down the street he went. A slight pep and bounce in his steps.

As puff walked down the streets he noticed footsteps running behind him. He stepped out of the others way but before he knew it. He was shoved to the said.

"Hey! Watch it!!"

The person that shoved puff was quickly grabbed by an officer,and it  seemed like they were both out of breath. Perhaps running for a while.

"You come back here now, downer! You have no business being off your joy, a great punishment awaits you. Especially after you fought and ran away from me!", The officer snapped.

The downer was pulled against the officer, crying and kicking. The officer and downer struggled until the downer was pinned. Despite this, the downer continued to kick and wiggle.