Sage and Felix are disaster wingmen

Start from the beginning

You keep expecting Anisa might broach the topic of the dark assignment she was referring to last night, but Anisa seems as cheerful as ever, the two of you sharing conspiratorial glances every time you have to deal with another pompous merchant or politician. The only time Anisa looks at all nervous is when she asks if you'd like to join her Sage, and Felix for a drink at the Saucy Gull after your regular sparring session.

"I'd love to!" you say warmly, reassuring her. But you also hope everything is okay. Maybe Anisa needs to wait until the four of you are together in order to properly discuss the plan of attack.

-

Something is definitely up.

Sage is sitting opposite you at the Gull, you've all been drinking and talking for hours and he hasn't made a single inappropriate wisecrack, tried to charm any of the bartenders, or joined in any of the rowdy dice games that seem to spring up in every corner of the establishment. If you didn't know better, you'd say he was on his best behaviour.

Felix, meanwhile, is behaving equally oddly. Rather than glaring moodily into his wine or flicking through his spellbook as the rest of you talk, he seems determined to be cheery; smirking and chit-chatting and passing-up several opportunities to aim a scathing retort at Sage. Now that you think about it, Sage seems determined not to rile-up Felix either. You know they both love each other at heart, but the absence of affectionate scorn makes it seem more like they're trying to deeply impress each other's parents rather than relax.

As amusing as you find it, this must be really serious business for them to take it to heart so much.

"So I was thinking," Anisa says eventually, and there's something in her tone of voice that makes you think this is important, and you want to give her your full support. Sage and Felix immediately fall silent too.

"-about this... this really funny thing that once happened to me," Anisa continues. "This really funny time, when I almost lost my life!"

Your mouth falls open in alarm. You had been expecting Anisa to bring up whatever difficult venture was on the horizon, but this sounds far, far worse. Sage's eyes grow wide as he pulls a worried expression, like he's swallowed his drink the wrong way and is trying not to cough.

"Oh my god," you blurt out. "Are you okay? You're not still in danger though, right?"

"What? No, no, of course not!" Anisa says hurriedly, looking ever more flustered. "I just mean... it was so hilarious... because... who would have thought a high-ropes obstacle course could be so risky? I... I have really good balance, and one day I thought to forgo the safety harness, and that was the one time I fell! Th-thank goodness we had a healer close by-"

"Annie, we were all terrified!" Felix splutters, unable to hold back. "You're giving me the hiccups just remembering it, I'll have you know I was quite beside myself-"

Sage, who seems to be trying to look at you without looking at you, abruptly grabs a glass of water and shoves it into Felix's hands before he can continue, Felix yelping in surprise as Sage tries to make him drink.

"A-anyhow," Anisa laughs anxiously, a light blush prickling her cheeks. A small silence follows while you recover from the horrifying idea of Anisa being injured during training.

"Does anyone feel like... a midnight swim at the docks!" Anisa says suddenly. If Felix was sputtering before, he now sounds like he's choking, his eyebrows raised in alarm as his eyes water behind a napkin.

You completely understand his concern. While you absolutely love the idea of a spontaneous adventure, Anisa is a knight lieutenant. If anyone from the city guard caught her breaking the rules so badly, she could receive an official reprimand or even risk getting fired. You know how important Anisa's job is to her, and you don't want her to jeopardize such a thing for your sake, even if it would be really fun.