38

Author's Note: This got a little darker than I anticipated. Sorry I guess? Also, we're probably looking at only a few more chapters. I've got some ideas for new books in the works, but all good things come to an end. I never imagined writing a story this long in the first place, so I'm honestly amazed. As always, thank you for reading, commenting, and voting!

"Karlie! It's wonderful to see you again!" Karlie grimaced at the sound of a voice she hadn't heard in years.

"I can't say the same," she mumbled, earning a sharp jab from one of the guards. The blonde woman across from her smiled and stalked over, getting in her face. They were close to the same height, but so their eyes met directly, but Karlie refused to be intimidated. "What do you want, Antonia?" she snarled.

"Whoa, calm down there, K. You're the one who broke into my house and tried to steal my toy. I think you owe me an explanation." Karlie spat at her, and the criminal stepped back to wipe her face, her grin never dropping. "No? Pity. I was hoping we'd have a chance to catch up, but, as you may have deduced, we've got a big job tonight. In about an hour, in fact. But without you to warn them, the police will be helpless to stop us."

"Taylor will stop you."

"Who's Taylor?" Arsyn sneered. "Your imaginary friend?"

"Your ex, you asshole," Karlie snarled. She struggled to face the shorter woman, but was harshly prevented from doing so. Arsyn walked around in front of her to stand next to Toni, smirking sardonically.

"Kitty Cat has a new name? How cute." She stepped closer to Karlie, nodding at her guards. They forced the girl to her knees so Arsyn towered over her. "We will catch her just as easily as we did you," she said. "Easier, actually. Because, unlike you, she will give herself up willingly."

"She would never."

"Love does strange things to a person," Arsyn continued, ignoring Karlie's outburst. "Catastrophe would have done her duty and left you, no matter how hard it was. But Taylor? She's already proven herself to be...sentimental."

"You set our apartment building on fire, didn't you?" Karlie accused. Arsyn laughed lightly in response.

"Obviously. What good is a name like "Arsyn" if you don't do a little...well...arson?" She turned to the guards. "Take her back to the room we found her in. Toni and I will fetch some supplies and meet you there."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This will never work," Karlie said. She didn't know if she was trying to convince the criminals or herself. Arsyn turned to her with a bored look.

"I'm pretty sure it will," she said. "Toni, do you have the device?" Toni nodded and handed her a small piece of electronics. "This," she said, "is a super-powered taser. It won't kill you, but it will make you scream, which is all we need."

"She'll never be able to find us," Karlie protested, struggling against the guards' grip as Arsyn stepped closer with the device. "The sound will echo through the entire system. She won't be able to track us down."

"I've learned to never underestimate Cat," Arsyn said. "I'm sure she had some way to mark the direction each of you took. And judging by your pockets -" she pulled out what they'd found when they had searched Karlie, displaying a pocket knife and the tube of lipstick, "- I'm guessing it was the lipstick. Let me guess, yours was pink and hers was red? Blondie's going to hear your screams and come running. You've laid out a clear trail for her."

Karlie struggled violently as they positioned her near the still-open vent, but was unable to make any progress. "Relax, K," Toni said. "We'll only keep shocking you until she shows up. I'd give it ten minutes, tops. Unless you really think she doesn't care about you."