sotd | three pt. 1

Start from the beginning

"Yes." Adrian says to keep me from having to speak.

Kenji rolls his eyes and says to the others, "When are they going to give us some Brinkani that don't know each other?" He shakes his head and turns hack to Adrian and I. "Where's Amaro Blakely?"

"We don't know, Sir." Adrian says politely, although I know he's itching just to talk normally. "We don't know him."

"Finally!" Kenji throws his hands up in the air. He turns to the crowd. "Amaro Blakely. Onto the platform, please."

The boy who was surrounded by so many people before came up. People were crying all over the place. Somebody's going to be missed. (love that adrian and mara's people are just like lol oh well)

"Yes, I'm here. I was just saying goodbye to the people that actually care about me." He gives a dazzling smile to Kenji, who seems surprised that someone would dare confront him like that.

Adrian snickers, but I jab him in the arm. I look at all the Brinkani looking at us. I start to feel queasy. I don't like being in front of people- I have enough trouble knocking on a Cassemite door to tell them I'm done mowing, much less standing in front of thousands of people. (oh wow so quirky you get stage fright) I look for Delora, who is standing next to... Mother. (ooP)

Mother is standing with Drake, next to Delora and Mrs. Nazar. She looks worried. Very worried. (no, really?) She catches my eye and turns away. Drake yells out, "We'll miss you, Cole!" He says Cole with particular cheesiness. (lol drake couldn't care less) I want to go down and punch him in the face, but Mother gives him a look to kill, and I suppose that will do enough to satisfy me. 

"Well, you know you must have false names, to keep your identity intact." Alastair says. Oh, so that's their "reason." (well, fake names should only serve to make this book all the more confusing) 

"Of course, Sir." Amaro says. 

"Alright, then." Kenji waves his hand and a clipboard and pen appears out of nowhere. He looks at the paper on the clipboard and says, "Cole Dunstan."

I step up and act like I'm having a really hard time walking up to them. I steady myself, look at Kenji, and nod. I burrow into my cloak. 

"Your new name is going to be Demogorgon." He says, checking my name off the list. (ew lol)

I hear Adrian snicker behind me. I turn slightly and walk back to him, and purposefully put all my weight onto him, persuading the crowd I'm weak. That will be a good strategy. Adrian stumbles back slightly, but keeps a grip on me and helps me back up, acting like he was keeping me on my feet. He sneers playfully, "Are you alright, Demo?" 

Demo. Am I going to be stuck with that name? (a clue: nope because i change it agaiN later)

"Adrian Nazar." Kenji looks at his paper. 

Adrian steps up and smiles. "Yes, Sir."

"Your name will be Imre." He sniffs, and Adrian nods and steps back to me. (that's actually a cool name lol i might use that for a character later)

"Amaro Blakely." Kenji calls the boy up.

Amaro steps up, and someone calls out from the crowd, "We love you, Amaro!" And a bunch of girls start squealing. (oh boy a womanizer) He gives the people a charming smile and they go wild. Oh, no. Not this type of person. Not a celebrity. It's kind of surprising I've never heard of him. (ya think?) People like this are almost always picked to be a Contestant, for the Government Assembly's enjoyment to watch the reaction of the crowd as their idol goes and dies. They're usually one of the first few people to die, since all they do all day is let people ogle over them and don't know the first thing about surviving.

"Your name will be Gethen." Kenji says. And the crowd goes wild. (wow i really knwe how to pick em, huh?)

"I like that." Amaro- err- Gethen says. (this is gonna be so confusing) "Has a nice ring to it." He steps back in line with us. 

"Are we ready to go?" Calliope sings, as if we were going on some sort of fun vacation. Well, maybe for her it is. 

"I suppose you three have never traveled by Magic?" Alastair says. When we shake our heads, he says, "Well, it's not too bad. You'll get used to it after a while."

"Here we go! Just close your eyes." Calliope says. She starts merging her hands together, and a light blue light started glowing through her hands. 

I guess Adrian knew I was scared (or else he was scared himself), so he grabbed my hand. I squeeze his tight. We both close our eyes, not knowing what to expect.

If we had thought traveling by Magic was going to be bad, we were wrong.