It is dark, still too dark to see; it is not yet daybreak. 

He thinks of Felicite, of Fionn and the child that grows now in his wife's womb, and that strengthens his resolve. He cannot allow his mind to wander, to think of what might become of them if he fails in this mission. 

He has already failed them once. He will not fail them again. 

But his sword arm is failing and he is fighting against his own exhaustion. They are outnumbered, and the sheer number of men who come at him in steady waves is too much to continue fighting at this pace. 

As Julien is about to give in to his exhaustion, to allow himself to admit defeat, he hears a new sound in the air. 

A charge.

But not from behind him, and not toward him. It is not his own men. It is coming from behind his enemy.

The dragon standard flutters above the charging soldiers in the eerie morning light and suddenly, the army of Courtade is attacking the enemy from behind. They are surrounded on two fronts, and they quickly lose the ground they had gained against Julien's army.

"Push forward!" Julien hears Killian cry out, and he repeats the words himself. 

Their spirits renewed by the unexpected reinforcements, Julien's own men rally, and their war cry is deafening. 

The fighting begins anew, but the enemy soldiers begin to drop their weapons and run, abandoning their lords. The air is heavy with the scent of blood and the screams and cries of the wounded and dying men on the battlefield, and it is too much for some men, who are shifting uncontrollably. The cries of wolves mad with bloodlust begins to overtake the shouts of the dying, and soon, there are no men left alive. 

Julien glances about the battlefield, but he sees no sign of Mariusz.

"Some king," Killian scoffs. "He lacks even the courage to enter battle with a crown upon his head, as you did."

"I wanted to be certain he could find me, if he wished," Julien shrugs. "Seems he was not looking to find me."

"He is long gone," Killi replies. "But you know he will return."

"I know," Julien says, closing his eyes for a moment. "I must send a company behind to Ravaenna, to protect Felicite. I imagine Mariusz will set his sights upon her and will want to ransom her."

"That is optimistic," Killian says. "Most likely, he will just kill her and your children. Or have your marriage declared illegitimate, remove them from the line of succession."

"He is not going to do any of that," Julien assures Killian. "Because I am going to find him and kill him."

"There is another matter you must attend to first, Your Grace," Asa says, sliding from the saddle of his sweat-lathered horse. "In Ravaenna."

Stay safe, Felicite. And keep my sons safe.

Julien's voice, plain as can be, speaks inside of her head. 

It cannot be, she thinks. 

I have loved you from the moment I first laid my eyes upon you. I love you now as much as I did that first day.  You know that I love you, don't you? Surely you must know that.

Julien, what...what is this? This sounds as if it is you saying farewell. Is my seeing wrong? Are you not victorious?

Remember the name my squire brought to you. If this goes badly, you must put aside your pride and take our children to him. Protect my sons, Felicite, and protect yourself.