Chapter 47

"I think I made myself pretty clear last time," he said, not very kindly, as he left school and he found out that Mary was waiting for him again.

"I know, I know. Could you please just listen to me? If you don't want anything to do with me after I tell you what's on my heart, you won't see me here again," she said kindly, pulling a restless strand of hair behind her ear.

Peter gave her a poisoned look. "Why don't we jump straight to the part where you'll never show up again?" he suggested grumpily and walked away. Unfortunately, his plan didn't work out because Mary followed him.

"Peter, listen to me. I thought about what I had done and realized that I had gone wrong. I didn't mean to hurt you and I want to apologize. And I'm sorry about what happened with Pepper. I'll talk to her-"

"No!" Peter shouted, interrupting her. "I don't want you to talk to her, is that clear? Actually, I don't want you to approach her at all! Dad already told you - stay away from us."

"Okay, okay! I don't want to upset you, I just want to fix it. I want you to be happy, and maybe then you'll let me be a small part of your life," she said, and Peter stopped to give her an inquisitive look. Mary was beautiful and a scientist, he could see why Dad fell in love with her, but he still didn't get it. After all, Pepper was so much better!

"Do you really expect me to believe you? I don't understand, you didn't think of us so many years and now suddenly you want to go back to our lives? It does not make any sense. You left when I was a baby and I don't remember you at all. Let's be honest with each other, we have no future," he shared his thoughts. Maybe they had to do it differently. For example, if he honestly explains to her how things are, she understands and lets them be.

"I know it's unforgivable, but I am really begging you. I did something to show you that I mean it and that I will do everything to make you happy," she said with a small smile, and Peter was frightened rather than pleased.

"What - what did you do?" he asked, startled. For some reason, he wasn't too thrilled.

"Your father isn't the only one with good contacts, you know? A few phone calls were made and Natasha Romanov was pardoned," she replied, and her smile widened.

"Do not joke about this," he snapped. He couldn't believe that for a moment he could think that the conversation with her could go smoothly and honestly.

"But I'm telling the truth! I know she's important to you."

"This is absolutely the last thing I would believe. How could you do that if my dad didn't make it for so long? That's absurd," he said angrily, walking away again. He was so upset that she started getting involved Aunt Nat!

Mary let him go. She knew he will find out from Ross anyway, so he will know she was telling the truth.

•••

"Friday! Goddamn it, what did we say about letting strangers into my house?!" snapped Tony angrily on his way out of the workshop. He didn't have time to find out where Natasha was, so he had no choice but to hope she was safely hidden somewhere.

"Mr. Stark, nice of you to join me," Ross greeted him dryly. None of them enjoyed this visit.

"Nice of you to stop by. Unannounced. Again," he snapped. What was wrong with Friday letting Ross in?

"I'll make it short. I know you think I'm a complete idiot, but don't think I don't know you're familiar with the current location of Black Widow. So you can send her a message from me that her guilt has been officially neglected and she is free," he said, and Tony could see how uncomfortable it was for him to say these words. He had to work hard to keep a straight face. It was quite suspicious.

"Don't say, and what so suddenly? How do I know it's not just your trap?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. With this guy, he never knew, and he wasn't going to tell Natasha she was free for Ross's men to take her when she stops hiding.

"We have decided that the arrest of Miss Romanov is no longer in our interest," he replied, which only aroused more curiosity in Tony.

"It's not in your best interest anymore? So what's in your best interest?"

"I believe you have nothing to do with it. However, conditions do not change. She signed so she is accountable to the UN as you are. Respect the people who fight for you, Stark. If it weren't for Miss Fitzpatrick, I would personally make sure that Black Widow would be locked up in Raft," he told him unfriendly and left his house.

Tony stared blankly at where Ross had just stood. He tried to process the words he had told him before he left, but somehow he couldn't understand why Ross would do it. She would have to have something he wanted.

"So, who is the mysterious Miss Fitzpatrick?" Natasha asked with interest, appearing quietly like a ghost.

"Jesus Christ!" he blurted out, grabbing for his heart.

"One would think you're used to it," she grinned, "so who's that woman?"

"Don't be too happy. It's Mary," he muttered, rubbing his temples. What was she up to? Why would she agree with Ross to pardon Natasha when she had nothing to do with it?

"What's her point?" she asked more questions. Natasha certainly wasn't dumb. Then, from everything Tony and Pepper told her, she realized that Mary wasn't doing anything just like that. She must always benefit from it.

"That's a very good question. But I don't know the answer to it yet."

"Thank God!" Peter breathed with relief when he frantically ran inside.

"Are you all right, Pete?" Tony asked in alarm immediately, running to him to take a close look to see if he was hurt.

"Yeah... I just saw a car with Ross and I was afraid he came for Nat," he explained.

"Actually, it was just the opposite. I'm free," Nat said with a small smile. Mary may be able to achieve something with it, but the important thing is that she is free. Miss Fitzpatrick still doesn't know whit who she started the fight.

"Free? You are free?!" Peter asked in surprise. The wave of joy spilling over his body mingled with the wave of doubt. Was it possible that Mary was telling him the truth?