Chapter 37

Peter handed the last meal from the box to the plate and smiled contentedly to himself. He was about to open his parents' favorite wine bottle, but at the same time, he heard the door slam. He forgot about the wine and took a quick step down the hall.

"Just in time! You didn't let me know that you were already on your way, but I still ordered food and it arrived five minutes before you," he informed them on his way. A huge smile adorned his face. He didn't remember the last time he was so happy.

His happiness faded with a snap of a finger as soon as he saw his father at the door. He was in a terrible state, and what's more, he was alone. But Peter has decided not to make any hasty conclusions.

"I'm so sorry," Tony said, looking into his eyes. His eyes were red and his eyelids were slightly swollen, which meant he had to cry. And he had never seen his father cry.

"What... what happened?" he asked in a shaky voice. The worst-case scenarios began to appear in his mind.

"Peter, I didn't lie to you years ago and I won't lie to you now. Plus, where has this lie taken us lately, right? I, God, this is so hard to say. I... I... It's about Pepper, Peter," he said, and Peter stared at him without blinking.

"You may be surprised, but I realized that," he muttered. "So what happened? Please, you can't come here the way you look and not tell me!" he insisted.

"I don't even know what happened. The truth is that Pepper is leaving us," he snorted. He didn't want to cry in front of his son, but hell, how was he supposed to not? He could still see broken Pepper in front of his eyes. He could still hear her words in his ears. Her words, which didn't make sense. He experienced one of the worst moments of his life.

"No. That's bullshit. No," Peter protested, shaking his head vehemently. That didn't make sense!

"I'm sorry, bat," he repeated the sentence he had told him at first when he arrived.

"No! What are you saying? She's not Mary, she would never leave us!" he shouted, and they both stopped at his words.

Tony felt that everything was getting worse and worse. Peter didn't mention his biological mother - in fact, he couldn't even remember how long ago it was. "It's weird that you mention her," he said after a moment's silence.

"I don't know what you want me to say. Pepper can't be gone! I know we both messed it up, but she wouldn't just leave. She wouldn't leave," he muttered. He felt panic absorbs every cell of his body. Tears began to press in his eyes.

"I will not let her go. I just think I have to give her some time, she was very upset. She kept talking about how she had to leave and that I should go home to my family. And that she was just a patch," he told him what Pepper had told him. Her words haunted him.

Peter couldn't stand it anymore and cried at his words. "Daddy-I-I think she saw Mary," he said.

"What? What are you talking about?" he blurted out, suddenly remembering a meeting he wasn't sure that happened or not. Until now. If Mary really was with him at that bar, then she could get to Pepper as well. This would explain the part with the patch she was talking about. She thought she was a replacement for Mary. Oh my God! How could she think that? After everything, they went through together...

"She was waiting for me in front of the school today and I think mom saw her," he explained.

Tony didn't know that emotions could change so quickly. In the blink of an eye, all sadness passed through him, and he felt angry instead. "She was waiting for you in front of the school?! Why didn't you tell me!"

"I didn't mean to worry you, but when it's already out, you should know it wasn't for the first time. She was waiting for me there the day we went to Germany."

"She can't do this! Who does she think she is?" Tony snapped. He didn't understand how he could ever love her.

"Dad, Dad, we have to concentrate now. We need a plan," he said, wiping away his tears.

"Plan? What Plan?"

"A plan to bring Mom back home. She always fought for us. Now it's our turn - we have to fight for her."

•••

"Peter? Are you all right?" a male voice spoke to him. Peter turned in confusion behind that voice. He let his thoughts get carried him away and for a moment completely forgot where he was.

"Yes," he replied simply, looking around the empty classroom. He probably thought harder than he wanted.

"I thought you were absent-minded, but I didn't want to mention anything in front of the class," Beck said, sitting down casually on the table.

"It just doesn't work a little for us at home," he muttered, slowly packing his backpack.

"I am not happy to hear that. Is there anything I can do?"

"That's nice of you, but we have to work this out ourselves."

"If you change your mind, you know where to find me. Even if you just need to talk," he suggested, and Peter sighed. The team disbanded and he had no one to talk to.

"Mom left us," he muttered, resting his head on the bench. It was weird to say it out loud.

"What happened?"

"Dad and I are not sure, but we will do everything we can to get her back," he said, his head still on the bench, so he wasn't sure if Beck hadn't heard just some mumble.

"I'm sure you'll settle it, but you should think it over so you don't go after something you don't already have anymore."

"It's not like that!" he snapped, raising his head sharply. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you, it's just not like that. It's complicated."

"No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. Just, you should reckon with the possibility. I have to go now, but I'll see you on the robotic club tomorrow," he said, patting him encouragingly on the shoulder on the way out of class.