Chapter 2: The Mate

Start from the beginning

A throat being unnecessarily cleared drew my attention to Edward. "Aren't you forgetting something?" he added with an arched brow. I knew he was asking why I had yet to mention the dual mate bond. I wasn't entirely sure myself why I was keeping it a secret, but part of it surely was the thrill I was getting from playing the field between Rosalie and I. She had no idea, yet she still accepted all of my flirting and teasing with and about Bella naturally. I knew if it had been anyone else, Rosalie would have been at their throats. It had me curious enough to keep the game going. I wanted to see if Rosalie would realize on her own, but eventually I would probably have to say something.

For now, I decided to give a little bit away. "Oh, you mean how I found my mate today?"

Dead silence. No one moved or breathed (not like we needed to). I was throwing Jasper under the bus, but my instincts were telling me to get it out into the open.

It was Emmett of all people who finally spoke up. "Is that why you moved into your own room last night?"

I nodded, humming quietly. "Let me start by saying that I understand why he did what he did and that all is forgiven." I sat up a little to give an uncomfortable-looking Jasper a small smile. "Jasper used his ability to intensify my feelings for him, to the point they mimicked a mate bond. After my vision last night, I realized what he had been doing and moved out of our old room."

"Jasper Whitlock!" Of course Esme wouldn't be able to let something like that slide, but I was quick to intervene.

"Esme, please, let it go. He made a mistake, and while it will take a while for him to earn my trust back, it is my decision to forgive him. I expect everyone to respect this and move on. Besides," I couldn't hold back my grin despite the previous topic, "My mate is absolutely stunning. Nothing else matters."

"Well, don't keep us in suspense," Emmett said, his childlike glee radiating from his infectious smile. "Who is this stunning...er, guy? Girl?" His confusion was palpable, and admittedly I understood it. Rosalie was mated to a woman suddenly, so everything was already topsy-turvy.

Still, I couldn't help the giggle that escaped my lips. "Girl! She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen!"

"I'm suddenly surrounded by lesbians," Edward muttered, earning a smack to the back of his head from Esme.

"Be nice," she growled playfully in her mothering tone she reserved for when one of us acted up. "Also, I don't like what you're implying about my husband." She turned to Rosalie and I with a smile as several of us laughed. "I can't wait to meet your mates!"

I smiled as Rosalie snorted softly. I had no doubt Esme was already preparing in her head for our human mate. By tomorrow she'd have the entire kitchen stocked to the brim with food.

"You still haven't told us who your mate is, Alice." I was surprised by the serious tone Carlisle's voice held, but he wasn't the head of our family for nothing.

"On that note, everyone go hunt," I announced, standing from my cushion named Rosalie.

There was a lull where everyone kind of just sat there. Eventually, it was Carlisle who put his foot down. "You heard your sister. We will need everyone in top form for the days to come."

Without preamble, everyone got up to leave, Rosalie pausing briefly at the door to shoot me a concerned look before she, too, disappeared into the woods. I lowered myself into one of the chairs across from where Carlisle and Esme resided.

"Allow me to answer your coming question with one of my own," I interjected once I was sure everyone was out of hearing range, cutting off Carlisle just as he open his mouth to speak. "Have you ever heard of two vampires having the same mate?"