34; facing the music

C A L U M

"Calum, mate. You need to get out of bed. You haven't been to school in a few days and it's Saturday now, we are all worried about you." An insistent Luke speaks over my bed, as I attempt to snuggle deeper into my bed and further away from all of my troubles and responsibilities.

"Go away Luke, I messed up so badly and I'm hurting so badly. The last thing I want to do right now is get out of bed and face my problems." I groan quietly, hoping my groveling will drive him away.

"At least come sit in the lounge room and fill out the course forms with me. They are due in a few days which means we have to mail them off today. It's just a bunch of quick questions and then if you still can't be bothered you can go back to bed." Luke reasoned.

I slowly pulled the covers down from face, as if emerging from some sort of hibernation. Luke stifled a laugh at my bad appearance; ruffled hair, bags under my eyes and about 10 layers of clothing on.

"Don't laugh." I snapped.

"Sorry mate, just didn't think you'd look this bad. She's really got you cut up, hey?" Luke replied, stepping back so I could walk out of my room, following after me.

"I don't want to talk about her. She said what she needed to say, we are over. I'm an asshole, I didn't know how to treat her properly and I couldn't even trust her. That's it." I mumbled, running my fingers through my hair.

Luke slowly nodded his head at my words, and I could tell he didn't know what to say. We both took a seat on the couch, scattered papers lining the coffee table in front of us. Luke reached forward, handing me a few and a pen, whilst doing the same to himself.

"Where are my parents?" I questioned, starting to fill out the general information.

"After trying to get you up repeatedly, they finally let me into your room and said they were going on a day trip to the city. They kept questioning me as to why you were so non-responsive and incoherent, but I just acted as if I didn't know either."

I nodded my head, continuing to fill out the papers until I reached the course selection page.

"I had a look over these this morning, and it says that the mandatory courses are Soccer Theory, Soccer Practical and Health Sciences. You have the option to choose two more courses, or just leave it as it is and then have less classes." Luke told me.

I had a quick look over the courses, not finding anything that excited me. I signed the bottom of the page, checking over the papers before putting them all in an envelope that was supplied.

"I chose an extra course, Sport Science. Thought that might help a bit more... And Mum told me I had to pick another course too." Luke admitted, causing us to both burst out in laughter.

"See that wasn't too bad, being out of the confines of your bed." Luke added, raising an eyebrow at me as I huffed.

"If this was you in my situation and Annabeth had broken up with you, you'd be bed ridden too." I mumbled, looking up to find Luke nodding in agreement. "The thing is, even though I'm leaving so soon and there is no way I could have a relationship with her... I want to make up so badly. I don't think I can put on a fake smile for much longer.

"Yeah man, it's okay. But that's not really fair on Amity. You can't just make up and that casually slip in that you have to break up again or have a long distance relationship. Not much of a choice."

"I don't even know why I'm even thinking of this, she won't even look at me now. She hates me."

"She doesn't hate you, don't be stupid. She's just confused and hurt."