What the actual fuck?! The whole purpose of the stupid plant was to keep him and his freaks away from us!

       "Steel and Iron hurt, Yarrow just—slows us down, I guess you can say."

       Jess told me about the steel and iron, hence the big ass knife I bought. One side was steel, the other iron. I felt like a badass when I bought it, and just as surprised that Amazon actually sold something like that. But why the hell was he admitting that? Telling someone that obviously hated him how to hurt his kind didn't necessarily seem like a great plan.

       "Why are you telling me this?" I asked as I sat reluctantly back down. Raf was still chasing pigeons, and I prayed she didn't decide to come over anytime soon. The farther away she was from the guy, the better.

       "Because I want you to trust me. I told you the truth before when I said it was never supposed to happen this way. I wanted us to be friends."

       "Right, so you can convince it's a good idea to wake up your demon dude? No thanks, I barely even believe in this crap." I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest, even though it was just an excuse to check that my fancy knife was still there.

       "He's not a demon."

       I was getting really sick and tired of people telling me that.

       "Okay, whatever, but like I said, this stuff is all a little too crazy to be completely real-"

       Luke's long irritated sigh interrupted my tirade and he shifted in his seat to grab a little knife out of his pocket. "Alright, look." And before I could make a move, he stabbed himself in the leg.

       Or, tried to at least. The blade bent the second it hit his jean-covered thigh and slipped harmlessly away.

       I had to viciously gulp down the saliva building in my mouth. There was no way I could convince myself that didn't just happen.

       "Give me your knife." He tossed his now useless pocketknife in the trash and stuck his hand out towards me.

       "Fuck that." If anything, I was less inclined to let him see it now than before.

       I could practically feel his eyes roll behind those sunglasses. "I just want to show you it will work. Here," He turned his palm up so it was facing me in invitation. "Cut my hand. I won't try to take it."

       I didn't believe him, like at all. But he was giving me a free invite to test out my fancy knife, and after that whole pocketknife display, I really needed to see if it would work. Completely ignoring the fact that we were surrounded by people, I took the knife out and quickly sliced a little nick in his palm. I've had to defend myself before, the trials of growing up alone in California, so the action didn't really bother me.

       Luke flinched and as blood swelled onto his palm, relief flooded my chest. Until that blood started burning, like smoke was literally coming off his hand. He grabbed the bottle of water from beside him that I hadn't noticed before, and quickly poured the whole thing onto this hand. The smoke died away.

       I sat back against the bench completed flabbergasted, my eyes shifting between the blade and his hand. Okay... So, maybe, I really did believe in this shit. Or I had officially lost it.

       "There, happy now?" Though his voice was a little shaky and when I finally tore my eyes from his hand, I saw how his face had gone white as a ghost. Damn, I guess the thing really does work.