five!

(  wasted and high  )

( wasted and high )

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄♔⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

KEGGERS AFTER HURRICANES WERE THE BEST ONES.

You never knew what shit you'd find washed up after a storm. There were the usual things, like smashed bottles and driftwood, but sometimes, if you were lucky, there'd be a whole tree, roots and all, or maybe a flagpole, or the figurehead off a yacht. That was the kind of kegger Lucy, Sarah, Topper, and Rafe were headed to tonight.

As far as their parents knew, Lucy was sleeping over on the Druthers, and Sarah was over at Lucy's. The perfect lie. Sneaking out was a regular occurrence for the girls, and it was something they almost always did together. Sarah had heard about this particular party from a friend of a friend of a friend, or some equally dodgy acquaintance, but Lucy had secured the date and time. There was very little that happened on this island without the princesses finding out and getting themselves involved.

          "Sarah, tell her to hurry the fuck up." Lucy rolled her eyes. Topper's voice was far away, but she heard him just the same.

It was quite the surprise he hadn't been cheated on yet — though Lucy didn't condone Sarah's actions, per se, she had a habit of dating the assholes, and cheating on them with the good guy. Lucy couldn't wait for the next good guy to roll around. She also had quite the habit of being hot and cold. All over them one day, gone the next. Lucy figured this was a cold day.

          "Lucy!" Sarah's voice floated up the Tannyhill stairs, and Lucy emerged from Sarah's room, looking down at her impatient best friend. She had a hand on each hip, eyebrows raised. "Are you ready?" Lucy laughed, and started to walk down the stairs. Sarah cupped her hands around her mouth, giving a wolf whistle. "Damn, she cleans up good." Lucy grinned.

          "Not too bad yourself," she replied, and the two girls giggled. Sarah extended her hand, bowing as she did so. Lucy grinned, taking Sarah's hand with an equally overdramatic curtsy.

Lucy laughed, and Sarah tugged on her hand, pulling her off the stairs to where the boys were waiting. Rafe gave her a once-over, before returning his gaze to the beer he held in his hand. Topper, on the other hand, walked to Sarah's side, placing a hand on her waist and pulling her close to him. Glancing at her feet to hide a roll of her eyes, Lucy suddenly felt quite out of place.

          "Hey, baby," Rafe spoke, and Lucy's head snapped up to see him waving her over, "You look good." Lucy gave him a smile, and he held his beer out to her, offering a sip. She took it gratefully, taking a swig and grimacing at the taste. She'd always liked cider more. Lucy's eyes met Rafe's, and the couple shared a look, an agreement to pretend. She passed the beer bottle back to him, and he took it in one hand, placing the other on the small of her back. Lucy leaned against his hand, letting a small smile play across her face.

She had always liked pretending.

Lucy reached a hand over to Rafe's neck, smoothing down his collar. The freshly starched fabric was stiff against her hand, and he took no notice of her action, raising the cold bottle to his lips again. Lucy glanced to Sarah, only to find her sympathetic eyes already on her.

Yes, Lucy was quite pitiful. She was willing to pretend with Rafe, because part of her would always be the little girl who had trailed behind him for much of her youth. Part of her knew that without Rafe, she would have nothing. She would be nothing. The worst part of it all was that Rafe knew that too.

          "Sarah, we're taking your car," Rafe said, removing the beer bottle from its prided place against his lips.

          "You're insane." Rafe scoffed. "Rafe! We're not taking my car." Sarah had moved away from Topper, her arms crossed over her chest.

          "Relax, princess," he answered, his words a little slurred, "You're driving."

          "I'm not gonna be designated driver just so you can get wasted." Rafe laughed.

          "And high." Lucy rolled her eyes.

          "And high." Sarah's voice had a bite to it. She had never made her disdain for her older brother much of a secret.

The Cameron siblings stared each other down, Sarah's head slightly tilted. Lucy knew her best friend's willpower was unparalleled. Sadly, Lucy knew Rafe would get wasted and high regardless of who was driving. 

          "I can drive," Lucy said, and Rafe's hand moved from the small of her back to her waist, less of a loving touch. It was more like a silent warning. Sarah, on the other hand, shot her a grateful look. "Can't promise we'll be driving a straight line on the way back, though."

          "You sure?" Rafe's voice was low. Evidently, he was giving her the chance to change her mind. To get back on his side. It was a silent ultimatum, but Lucy just looked at him over her shoulder, and nodded. His eyes hardened. Lucy wasn't worried. She doubted he'd remember any of this by the end of the night.

Sarah grabbed her keys out of the bag she had slung over her shoulder last minute.

          "Catch!" Lucy grabbed the keys from midair, and shot Sarah a grin. Rafe removed his hand from her waist and grabbed her hand in his, his grip tight.

          "Come on," he said, "Let's get this over with." Rafe had never been a fan of Pogue parties. Lucy had a sneaking suspicion that he found even sharing the same air as them an act of war. Topper wasn't into them either. Lucy was pretty sure both of them thought Pogues had crawled up from the depths of hell.

She would pay good money to see either of them try to live without Pogues doing all the jobs they took for granted. After all, it was a Pogue who sold coke to Rafe, and she doubted he could survive long without that.

Sarah walked over to Lucy, Topper practically glued to her side. It was kind of sweet, Lucy thought. She threw an arm over Lucy's shoulders, giving her a small smile. She leaned in to whisper in Lucy's ear.

          "The princesses are back."

Sarah winked at her, and Lucy knew that this was going to be a good night.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄♔⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧