She had known who he was, but she did not know who he was now.  Scarlett had changed him completely and had opened his eyes to the error of his ways.  For that he was thankful, it showed that she did care for him and that there was always some good in people no matter what. Besides her beauty being something to capture him, Scarlett was an independent woman. She challenged him in way he never expected to be challenged. She was poised and content with whatever she had. She was not greedy and loved from the heart. Not to mention the kindness that radiated from her very soul.

"I'll prove to you somehow." He grinned

Reaching into his shirt he pulled from around his neck a thin golden chair containing her wedding band.  He was determined to place this very ring back on her finger and make sure this time to leave it there forever.

***

Her mother held an ill-humored expression as her hands fisted on each side of her hips.  Disagreement was written all over her sea green eyes as she let out a small huff and crossed her arms. "Why Scarlett?" she simply asked.

"Mother, shall I go with the silver pendant or the blue one?" she more than changed the subject.

"Listen to me," her mother said in a stricter tone.

Taking a deep breath she answered her, "He has to know that I am done with all of this. I want a new life, and someone else."  Lies! All bloody lies!  Her mind shouted out to her.

For the moment she would have to wait and see if Sir Heart's new little test would play right in his eyes.  Frankly she had seen the whole idea preposterous when he confronted her about it.  She closed her eyes as her mind brought back memories of their little argument not a week ago.

"I will not have you run back into his arms so quickly, he must learn a very valuable lesson.  Is that understood?"  Sir Heart had ordered.

"I fail to see where he needs anymore punishment." She protested.

"My dear, he took you for granted, treated you like the dust in the air," he grouched.

"I have forgiven him for such cruel behavior." Whispered Scarlett.

"Do you want to get your heart broken once again?  Trust me when I say that I will get to the bottom of his confession and know once and for all if his declaration lays true.  I love my son and love is not blasphemy."

"No, I do not wish to get my heart broken again." she sighed in defeat.

"This is what you will do..."

His words trailed to the back of her head as she finally finished pinning her hair and her mother's words cut through her thoughts.

"I do not wish for you to get hurt again." Her mother whispered.  "Scarlett...I will not stand in your way if this is what you truly want."

Her thin fragile hands came to rest on her daughter's firm shoulders and with a light squeeze she pecked her cheek and smiled halfheartedly at her through the mirror.  Scarlett knew that there was no fooling her mother.  After all it had been her whom taught her daughter how to seek the best in people.

"Your father had forbidden the very idea of you returning to Heart Manor, but I spoke to the man and now that his anger has subsided he has decided to let you follow your heart."